The Beginning to an End

Finding out that he was waking up had been painful, in an emotional way. Wanting to hold on to the last traces of the dream, Hob took a deep breath, letting out a sigh as he snuggled the pillow. It wasn't the same, but if he tried hard enough, he would be able to convince himself that he still had someone in his arms.

There was a small amount of disappointment that he was back here, as if nothing had happened. After experiencing a week of emptiness and suddenly being hit with that, he had thought that he would have been able to stick around there a little longer, or for something to have changed around him. Now he just felt lonely, back outside his own mind.

Knowing the time in which he tended to awake, he knew he was meant to be getting ready soon, with a glance at the clock near him, he would be able to decide if he was early or if he should hurry. Miraculously, he had woken up with plenty of time to go, perhaps that being the reason why he had been so rudely kicked out of his dream. Moving himself just a bit, a ray of light blinded him.

Something had reflected light from the outside it seemed, him not sure what exactly. He scanned his room, seeing if something was out of place. At some point, he registered that perhaps he should be following the ray in the first place, where it came from the window before bouncing onto something right by his nightstand.

There, looking as if it belonged there, was his sword, having waited for him to notice it. Hob had to rub his eyes once, twice, many times, adding a pinch to his arm to be sure, because there was just no way that it was there. A grin split his face as he sat on the edge of bed, throwing the sheets to the side as he reached out to grab it.

As real as it had been in his dream, here now stood his weapon, in its sheath and everything. He had to open it immediately, but slowly, seeing each and every detail, making sure it was the same as in his dream, no longer it being a foggy memory. The blade was now decorated with some new scratches, due to the vines that he had cut if he were to guess. Sheathing it back, he held it close to his chest, hugging it tightly.

It stayed solid in his grasp, not disintegrating to dust or anything like that from being here with him. This was a sign, like the ones that he had hoped to get since the beginning, showing that everything had been in fact real. Moving the handle to his head, he placed it against his forehead, imitating what he had done with the hand of Dream.

Hob whispered to it, thanking his king for his kindness, his gift. Now, to find where to hang it from, to show it off. No longer would he have to go to a bladesmith to have a replica made, he had the real deal.

Blinking a bit harder than normal, he placed it softly on the bed, for there would be no safer place than there for the moment in his opinion. It was hard to let go of it, giving it a last touch as he went around his room to get ready for the day. It was difficult to concentrate, for he kept retreating to his bedroom, making sure that it was still there.

Taking his time, he cleaned up in the shower, soon getting out and blow drying his hair. If he was putting a bit more care into his look, well, no one would complain, he just felt like it. He also chose the best clothes he could find.

No longer was his smile fake or small, it was so big that it was starting to ache. He couldn't help it, he felt so happy, unlike he had for many days. The feeling didn't fade even as he ran out, grabbing his bag and his sketchbook, taking some money as well to get himself something nice from the cafe close by.

He deserved it.

✧✧✧

It seemed that he wasn't the only one this early in the day to be in a positive mood. He could practically feel his students vibrating as he had made his way inside his classroom, coffee in hand of course. He said good morning to them all, before staying quiet as he placed his things down.