Prologue

Deep in the rainforest, a young dragon is ready to hatch. A beautiful, lean rainwing with white, red, and yellow scales looks over a cherry red egg. She looks up at an approaching dragon. A dark vermilion-colored skywing emerges from the grass, laying beside the rainwing. He turns his golden eyes towards her, and then the egg.

     "It just wiggled earlier." The rainwing whispered, her scales rippling white and yellow, indicating fear and joy. The skywing chuckled deeply and put his wing around her. "There's nothing to be scared of, Elegance. I'm sure our dragonet will be perfect. Just like you." The rainwing looked over at his with a sad smile and rested her head in the crook of his neck. "I hope so. I'm just so worried that it won't be healthy. There aren't many hybrids for a reason, Breeze."

     As if on queue, the little egg rustled once more, catching the attention of both parents. There was a small scratching noise, and suddenly, a little red snout was poking out of the smooth shell of the egg. Both parents looked over the egg with mixed positive emotions. The little hatchling pushes it's head through the egg and looks up at the dragons above it. Her eyes glowed a bright gold, complimenting her cherry-red scales and lighter red frills. She crawls slowly out of the egg, staring up at the two other dragons, her parents.

     Her mother squealed with joy before scooping her dragonet in her arms. She brought her closer to her father, who reached one of his talons out to his daughter. "Look at our little dragon. Our little Cherry." Elegance said with pure joy. "She's perfect." Breeze replied. Cherry cooed lightly as she grabbed her father's talon with her small claws. She knew she was happy here. This was her home, her parents, and her forest.

But all of that was about to change.