Betrayal

~ Alicia ~ 

I held the bags tightly, my heart racing as I stood outside my house. I had carefully chosen this corner, hidden from prying eyes. It was well past midnight, and the chances of anyone passing by were slim, but I couldn't afford the risks. 

This was the day I longed for when I finally broke free from my land and the coven that bound me.

I took a deep breath, the cool night air filling my lungs as I walked along the path that led to our secret meeting spot. Lucian and I planned this carefully, ensuring the location was far enough from our territories to minimize the risk of being caught. 

Every detail was thought through, and every step was strategically calculated. Excitement and trepidation hung around my neck as I considered my decision.

As I reached the spot, I stepped into the shadows and waited; my senses were heightened. 

I scanned the surroundings, hoping to glimpse Lucian's familiar form. But the night remained silent, and there was no sign of him. Panic crept in, threatening to consume me. What if something went wrong? What if he couldn't make it?

"Lord, please, where is he?" I whispered into the darkness, my voice tinged with anxiety. I glanced down at the bags, evidence of our planned escape. 

My heart pounded, my thoughts racing. Suddenly I realized the significance of what I was doing, the consequences looming like a storm cloud.

Time ticked on, each second stretching out like an eternity. I paced back and forth, my eyes darting around the night, searching for movement. Doubt gnawed at the edges of my resolve, threatening to shatter my carefully constructed plan. I was a witch, and the rules of our coven were rigid, unwavering. The foremost among them was etched in my mind: "Never fall in love with a werewolf."

The weight of those words pressed down on me, the gravity of my emotions at odds with the strict doctrine I had been raised under. My heart yearned for Lucian, a love that defied tradition and expectation. 

But the reality of the situation was stark – my people would never accept our relationship, and the consequences of being discovered were dire.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and tried to steady myself. I refused to let fear paralyze me. This was my choice, the path I was determined to follow. I held onto the memory of our shared dreams and our promises to each other. 

No matter the obstacles ahead, I was ready to face them, hand in hand with Lucian. As doubt threatened to consume me, I clung to the flicker of hope, determined to brave whatever challenges awaited us.

Thousands of years ago, the witches and the werewolves were entrenched in a bitter and bloody conflict. The werewolves had preyed upon the witches, treating them as objects to be used and discarded at their whim. The witches, fed up with this oppressive treatment, had risen in protest. But when the werewolves turned a deaf ear to their cries, the war ignited fiercely. Years of strife followed, each side determined to overpower the other.

Eventually, exhaustion settled in, and the realization dawned that the cycle of violence was unsustainable. The witches and werewolves reached a truce, deciding to part ways, forever keeping their worlds separate. 

The ancient war had etched itself deep into their collective memories. The hatred was kept alive, a cautionary tale passed down through generations, ensuring the bitterness and mistrust remained, even though the war itself had become a distant memory.

But for me, Alicia, that history was much more than just tales of the past. It was a living, breathing part of my reality. The divide between witches and werewolves was a chasm I dared not cross.