13. Peace of Mind

Jack Crawford's Office. 

“And where are we with the properties?” Jack voiced out on the phone as he filled out some needed documents. His office was a mess, with papers lying everywhere as coffee cups littered the place. “I need that list stat.”

The entire office went quiet, the only sounds audible were the scratching of a pen, muffled voices from a conversation that was going on outside the office and the soft ticking of the clock. Just as Crawford placed the phone on the table, a knock resonated in the otherwise quiet office. Instead of using full words, Jack merely grunted, signalling the visitor, or visitors, to come in. 

“I don't see the need to invite Chilton to whatever you have to say,” the voice of Alana Bloom interrupted the silence in the office. She looked worse for wear. The eye bags under her eyes indicated that sleep wasn’t her friend. Other than that, Alana looked exactly the same. Her clothes were neatly ironed and not a single hair was out of place. She stormed into the office, her heels clacking against the soft carpet. “He only makes things worse.”

“While Graham and I didn’t get along,” the unsettling voice of Chilton followed. “I do care about his safety. I will try my utmost best to ensure that Lecter is caught and Will be brought back unharmed.”

“Please,” Alana huffed, her voice not hiding her exasperation. “You merely wanted to profit off Will and hated how he declined all your attempts.”

“This is not the time for fighting,” Crawford interrupted as he gestured for the two doctors to sit. “It’s clear we all share the same objective. Bringing Will back. There's been an advancement.”

“I heard about the crime scene,” Alana spoke as she took her seat. She shifted uncomfortably before speaking again. "It's clear that Hannibal was behind it."

"Not that but yes, Lecter's blood was found there," Jack replied as he shut the file he was working on and handed the two doctors another file. " A few hours ago at around 2.45 am today, Katz got a phone call."

"So you called us at the crack of dawn to discuss phone calls that one of your agents gets?" Chilton interrupted, a mocking jeer on his face. 

"Let me finish," Jack added as he felt his already thin patience get thinner. "The call was from Will. He had managed to snag a phone from Lecter. From what we heard, Lecter had found out about the phone call but before the line went dead, we got some crucial information about Lecter’s hiding place and his future plans."

"Is Will alright?” Alana asked as she moved to the edge of her seat. She didn’t bother masking the worry in her voice. Even Chilton had gotten quiet, listening to what Jack had to say. 

“Lecter didn’t seem too happy when he found out,” Jack admitted before taking a deep breath. “He kept Will for this long. I doubt he’ll do too much harm now.” 

"How close are you to finding the place Graham described?" Chilton asked as he leaned against the chair Alana was seated in. "I doubt Lecter will stay there for long now that the place might be compromised."

"We have one day to find them. Maybe less." Jack replied as he stood up to hand over a file of what they had so far. 

"Why's that?" Alana asked, her eyebrows furrowing with equal parts of worry and confusion.