Hello Again (Vaxilmore)

The beat of his heart slowed to a stop, the last thing he hears is a sobbed "I love you" from the man he loves; the man cradling his body as he leaves it. Gilmore's marriage to Darius had been lovely, comfortable and healing. They had taken to each other easily, though Gilmore had still been mourning the loss of a man he'd never gotten to call his own. A heroes death took a piece of his heart, but a gentle life rebuilt that part anew. The difference of their life spans had come up a few times over the years, Gilmore happy to spend his days with him but worried about the heartbreak his inevitable death would cause his husband. Darius made it clear that he would gladly take any amount of time and love Gilmore would spare him, regardless of the pain their end would bring. The glorious human had lived a comfortable life after helping save the world with a family that had found him and never left. When he felt himself growing weaker, like he was slowly fading away in the weeks prior to his death; he had sat alone and wrote several lengthy letters that would be sent out once his ever loving heart beat for the last time.

A letter to each member of Vox Machina, Grog's going with Pike's since she had continued to teach the man how to read; to the best of her abilities. A few letters sent to others such as Allura and Kima; even sweet Cassandra, Percival's little sister. He had made friends everywhere he went, and felt each deserved their own letter and permission to take certain things from his nearest shops that he felt they could need. This time the prices were so discounted that they were free. All he asked in return was that they would make time every once and a while to pay his grave a visit; just to say hello. Each of his shops had a raven feather hanging above the inside of the front door, he'd asked that one be braided into his hair when laid to rest; all in the hopes that the next person he saw would be someone he missed greatly. That these feathers would somehow call Vax to him so they could see each other once more.

Darius was well aware of the story of Vax'ildan, Shaun had never made an effort to hide it and wasn't comfortable keeping secrets from those he loved. The darling man had taken it in stride and even collected any raven feathers he came across to bring back for Gilmore, who sometimes made hairpins and clips with them that he would send to Vox Machina whenever he got the feeling someone needed it. Darius had been a dear, had asked questions about the mysterious Vax'ildan; he even mentioned that whenever his own heart stopped beating, he hoped to be able to meet Vax and thank him for everything he had done for Gilmore. To thank him for his heroism, but mostly for passing Gilmore to him to hold; to let him know they had kept a bit of space with them for him, that his memory would live long past the two of them. He believed they could've become friends had they met in life and had the time, but that was a theory that would need to be tested in death. Gilmore had worried that his husband would disapprove of Vax's memory, but was pleasantly surprised by Darius offering to help in whatever way Gilmore wanted to honor him. Darius was a true sweetheart, through and through.

The next time Gilmore is aware of himself and opening his eyes, he finds himself in a beautiful forest grove. The plants are bright, vibrant flowers of all sizes; some bigger than him, while others could fit on his fingernails with room to spare. Even though the sky was cloudy and the scent of rain was on the air blown in by wind just under being too hard, the beauty of this place would've stolen his breath if he still needed it. The feather he'd had braided into his hair suddenly flew out, floating away as if it were attached to a string. Right before he could even take a step to follow, a long missed warm voice came from a few feet behind him.

"Gilmore."

Please.

In a spin of loose dark hair, Shaun spins on his heel to face none other than Vax'ildan himself. A face splitting smile mirroring Vax's own took up residence on his face.

"Hello again, pretty bird."

With that, the two men darted to each other; meeting in the middle of the grove when they close the distance between them and cling to each other. In the blink of an eye, the two are on the ground being cushioned by moss as the clouds break above them with a clap of thunder as they embrace. Gilmore pulls back enough to cradle Vax's face in his hands, which are no longer as weathered or wrinkled as they were upon his deathbed. Shaun Gilmore looked as glorious as he did the last time they had been together; much younger with far less aches and pains from age or scars that smarted in the moments following a rather cruel nightmare.

"Tell me this is real. Tell me it's you, that this is actually happening and not some cruel trick of my own mind."

"Shaun." It was only now the two noticed their matching tear streaked cheeks. A paler hand comes to gently stroke a few tears away as his smile wobbles and becomes far more vulnerable. "This is real. I'm really me and you're really you. Please, please believe me. I–I watched over you, over everyone; as much as I could. I watched...I've been watching everyone live. I've even broken a few rules to intervene a time or two, whether it be something drastic or as simple as sending a few ravens with loose feathers flying over whatever place you're inside at that moment."

"You ridiculous man. I have half the mind to scold you for leaving, but I fear my heart has won the argument and I can only feel joy now." When Gilmore pulls Vax in, his touch is soft and slow; the kiss they share is but a chaste brush of lips.

Vax gasps when he's met with the sweetest of kisses, though he hasn't needed air in quite some time. His arms wrap around the man, giving him a firm hug before returning the kiss just as sweetly. Sharing a dopey smile with him, Vax comes to let his forehead rest on Shaun's shoulder as he openly weeps.

"Oh, how I have missed you, Vax'ildan." Was whispered before Gilmore was letting his own head rest on Vax's shoulder, giving in to the overwhelming mix of emotions as he cries.

Time doesn't exist the same here as it does on the material plane, so there's no telling how long they remain wrapped in each other's arms in a soft bed of moss. Whispers are shared, words too gentle to be heard above the wind; words so vulnerable they heart to speak as much as they hurt to hear. Even though Gilmore had never been one to hold his words back, finally saying a certain three made his still heart want to leap out of his chest. He'd expected Vax to bring up sweet Keyleth, but he had instead the half elf spoke the words in kind. Who knew it would take dying for the man to accept that his heart had swollen so full of love that it had enough space to hold not one but two amazing people? After a while the two stand, much more relaxed and put together than they were.

"Come. I have something to show you."

"Really? We are dead yet you still insist on surprising me?"

"Is that a problem?"

"Do you hear me complaining?"

A giddy smile is shared between the two, much like the ones they once shared whenever they had stolen precious moments alone together at the slight risk at being caught by their friends. Though there was no reason for either of them to be warm, their hands radiated warmth when their fingers laced together.

"C'mon, I made a place. Things are strange here, you're able to create your own sort of paradise if you're not being sent to the Nine Hells or something."

"And you made your own, then? Do you plan on sitting me somewhere with a view for all the other souls to see and wonder how I got so lucky as to be welcomed into the home of the Raven Queens Champian himself?"

That made Vax laugh as he lead the man towards a blinding gold light peaking through the foliage before them. "Yes. But it isn't just mine. I...it's a place I made for all of us to stay in, if anyone wants to stay. I'm not ashamed to admit to being lonely here without those I love. Can you truly fault me for it?"

"Fault you for it? Never. Tease you for being a big softie under all those feather hidden layers? Absolutely." Gilmore smiles, walking confidently into the light; hand in hand with the man that stole his heart all those years ago. He hears Vax's voice before he sees anything past the light.

"Welcome home, Shaun Gilmore."