Chapter 1: The Inherited Magic

Ilia had awoken earlier than usual that day. She gazed out the window of her bedroom, in the magnificent Palace of the Claris', her family. The walls had elegant etched floral wallpaper. The floors were hardwood, covering the former stone and crystal that had once been the palace's original flooring. Rich tapestries adorned what square inch hadn't been taken up by some ancient relic or another.

Ilia arose from her large canopied bed. Her long wavy red hair lifted off the soft embermouth silk sheets, a material that warmed you as you slept. A modern necessity, since the unusual climate disturbances during the last ten years. "Yet another problem for the kingdom," Ilia thought to herself, as her long golden legs made their way to the large stone arched window.

The early morning sun bathed the palace gardens in a warm, golden light. The birds were singing, and the scent of blooming roses wafted through the room. It was a peaceful scene, one that should have brought joy to Ilia's heart, but today was different. Today was the day of the sacred ceremony that would determine the future of the Leoht kingdom.

As the youngest of the Claris siblings, Ilia had always felt like an outsider in her own family. Her older sister, Salia, had been groomed from birth to become the next queen. She had studied politics, diplomacy, and the art of ruling with unwavering determination. Salia was the perfect princess, graceful and poised, with a beauty that captivated all who met her.

Ilia, on the other hand, had no interest in the burdens of royalty. She preferred to spend her time exploring the vast library of the palace, indulging in her love for books and knowledge. She was the family's black sheep, the one who dared to dream beyond the confines of the palace walls.

But fate had a different plan for Ilia. On her eighteenth birthday, during a grand ceremony attended by nobles from all over the kingdom, something unexpected happened. As the ancient Claris pendant, a family heirloom said to hold the sacred magic of their bloodline, was presented to Salia, it began to glow with an ethereal light. The pendant floated in the air, then gently moved towards Ilia, who stood frozen in shock.

The gasps and whispers of the assembled nobility filled the grand hall. It was a moment that no one could explain. The sacred magic had chosen Ilia as its bearer, bypassing Salia, the one who had prepared her whole life for this very role. Ilia was now the Queen of Leoht, and the Nocopo people, a title she never sought and wasn't sure she wanted.

Salia's face had contorted into a mix of shock and anger as she watched the pendant, the symbol of her destiny, drift away from her and into Ilia's waiting hand. The tension between the sisters had been building for years, but this was the breaking point.

As Ilia stood there, the pendant glowing softly against her chest, she could feel the weight of her newfound responsibility settling upon her shoulders. She knew that her life, and the fate of the kingdom, had just taken an unexpected turn.

Later that day, as the palace buzzed with the news of the ceremony, Salia confronted Ilia in their shared chambers. The room was opulent, decorated with silks and jewels, but the atmosphere was heavy with unspoken resentment.

"You stole my destiny," Salia hissed, her eyes blazing with anger. "I trained my whole life for this, and you just waltz in and take it from me."

Ilia sighed, her own heart heavy with guilt and confusion. "Salia, I didn't ask for this. You know I never wanted to be queen."

"That doesn't matter now," Salia replied bitterly. "You are the queen, and I am nothing."

The sisters' relationship had always been complicated, but this turn of events had made it even more strained. Ilia knew that she had to find a way to reconcile with her sister, to make her understand that this was not her choice. She was as much a victim of fate as Salia was.

But for now, as the sun set over the Palace of the Claris', casting long shadows across the grand halls, the tension between the sisters remained unresolved. The kingdom watched and waited, unsure of what kind of queen Ilia would become and what this unexpected twist of fate would mean for the future of Leoht.