EXPOSITION! (and more bickering) (it'll stop soon-ish I SWEAR)

Once upon a time, two races ruled over the Earth: Humans and Monsters. Humans and monsters, of course, have very different anatomies. Humans are mostly made of water and other physical matter, whereas monsters are mostly made of magic. This means that the human SOUL's power far exceeds that of a monster's soul– to the point where a human SOUL can persist outside the human body, even after death.

Of course, it was this ability that made it possible for a monster to absorb a human SOUL and become powerful beyond measure– in theory. It had never been done, but the humans feared that it would. So, they declared war on the entire race of monsters. It was less of a war and more of a massacre. Not a single human SOUL was absorbed, and countless monsters were turned to dust.

"...After the long battle, the humans were victorious, and they sealed us underground with a magic spell. The only way we can leave is with the power of seven human SOULs combined– meaning that we'd have to become the very thing the humans feared in order to leave. Now, do you see our plight?"

The trio was silent for a moment.

"Damn. Sucks to be you," said Frances, breaking the silence. Toriel scoffed as Nancy dropped the phone and crossed her arms and Henry hid his face with his hands in second-hand embarrassment.

"...Anyway, as I said before the story, Nancy, you really should learn how to behave during a FIGHT. Now, when a monster attacks you, try striking up a friendly conversation! Usually, the monster will talk with you, and the battle can resolve peacefully. Here, try talking to this dummy–" Toriel paused. Did Nancy really need to practice talking? Yes! Yes, she did! But did Nancy think she needed to practice talking? Probably not. In fact, she looked a little insulted by the very idea of it. "...Er, never mind. That was silly of me. Usually... Usually, it is children who fall down here, so I suppose I have gotten used to saying the same thing over and over again, ahaha... well, we should be off, then."

This seemed to improve Nancy's mood– yeah, it was totally just Toriel automatically saying what she always says to the humans who fall down here. Toriel sighed quietly, wondering what she should do with this group. Would it really be safe for anyone to let Nancy go..? In the next room, Toriel explained how puzzles operated.

"...and so, as you can see, the signs on the wall are often hints to the solution. Take the bridge of spikes, for instance: the sign right before says that the western room is the eastern room's blueprint. So, you would follow the same highlighted path in the western room on the bridge of spikes."

"Isn't all that kind of, uh... dangerous?" Henry asked.

"Well, yes, of course. When we built these puzzles, the war was still fresh in our minds. These puzzles were made precisely for the purpose of stopping humans."

Another moment of uncomfortable silence as Nancy, Toriel, and Henry crossed the spiked bridge. When they were halfway across, Nancy opted to change the subject.

"Say... There aren't any monsters in the water below this bridge, are there..?"

"Hm? Oh, no," Toriel answered, "most of the aquatic monsters live deeper in the cavern, in damp swamplands. Why do you ask?"

"To make sure I don't electrocute anyone when I do what I'm about to do," Nancy replied before promptly dropping the telephone in the water. It sank to the bottom.

"...Oh. I see." Toriel tried hiding her relief, but it was plain on her face– she was far more relaxed now that the bitch couldn't add any more unhelpful commentary. Toriel and Nancy then resumed their crossing while Henry decided not to be corporeal for the rest of the puzzle since all these spikes were making him a bit anxious.

But no sooner were the three of them in the next room when the red telephone reappeared directly in front of Nancy.

"Wow, okay, thanks for getting water all over my face through the goddamn receiver, you petty bitch," said Frances. Everyone groaned.

"Wish you had drowned in it," Nancy mumbled. Toriel whirled around and stared at Nancy, clearly very concerned. "Um, I mean... that was a joke. I was joking. Hah hah!"

"Your sense of humor's as sick as your brain," Frances spat.

"...Right," said Toriel. But when the monster turned back around... someone was obstructing the group's path.