Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Friday came too soon and I couldn't get my parents off my mind. I knew that they wouldn't come see me because I knew them all too well. They wouldn't do that, even on my birthday. That didn't stop my heart from pounding and my palms from getting all sweaty. I jumped when my phone rang. I'd been jumpy all day and pacing around my apartment, cleaning even though everything was spotless.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe, I was wondering if you could pick Ben up. I have this last minute meeting tonight and Paige has to see a client so she can't watch him any longer."

"Of course I can."

"Great! You're the best! Paige will meet you at Meg's diner to hand Ben over in half an hour."

"Okay. I'll see you later."

"I love you."

"I love you." I said, before ending the call and setting my phone down on my coffee table.

I was surprised that Ray didn't mention my birthday. It's not that I expected him to remember but I was a little surprised and hurt that he didn't. Nick hadn't even text me. I shook my head, telling myself to not be so sensitive and made my way to my bedroom to get ready.

When I walked into the diner, I didn't see Paige. She wasn't anywhere, so I tapped the familiar hostess' shoulder. She turned around with a big smile.

"Hi, have you seen a blond woman with a little boy who's around five?"

She smiled and nodded.

"Oh she's waiting for somebody in the event room, all the way back." She informed, pointing down the hall.

"Oh okay."

I probably looked confused to her but she kept her smile and guided me all the way to the back.

"The doors are closed. It looks dark in there." I said, motioning towards the pitch black room.

"Well maybe we should just open them then."

She did and I stepped into the dark space.

"Surprise!" I heard what sounded like a thousand people yell.

The lights flicked on and I saw a mass of people. Ray, Ben, Paige, Tim, Nick, the triplets, my grandparents, cousins I hadn't seen in ages, tons of kids from school. Even Alma was seated in the corner. I couldn't stop smiling and I couldn't help the overwhelming embarrassment that came over me. Everybody was staring, analyzing my reaction. So I kept my eyes on Ray to calm my nerves. Paige engulfed me in a hug.

"Did you guys really do all of this?"

"It was all Ray." She said, pointing toward him.

He shrugged it off and smiled at me.

"I couldn't have done it without Nick."

Nick was leaned up against the wall holding hands with Lily. After giving Ray a big hug and kiss, I wrapped my arms around Nick's neck.

"I invited some people from school. I wanted you to have the best birthday babe. You deserve it. I love you." He said, whispering the last few words in my ear.

My heart rate picked up as he kissed my cheek, his arms around my waist.

"Woah there. I think that's enough." Ray said, peeling me off of Nick.

I went around greeting friends and family and when I got to Ben, he seemed shy for some reason.

"Hey, you're not getting bashful on me are you?"