Part 1

Phoebe sits in the back of the police car on the way to the station. She can't believe what's happened tonight. She's sleeping soundly one minute, then there's a loud noise.... And then Cady uses Bruce to snap M3gan in half. 

Cady looks over at her sobbing twin. She feels somewhat guilty for what happened, but not much. After all, that thing was a serial killer. Maybe now things can go back to normal. She tries to express this to Phoebe, but the other girl isn't having it. 

"Normal? Nothing's been normal since the accident!" She attempts a glare, but it fails due to her lack of glasses and the tears clouding her vision further. Cady squeezes Phoebe's shoulder in a reassuring manner. It's not well received. "Get your hands off of me!" Nobody talked for the rest of the ride to the station.

Gemma sits in an interrogation room at the police station. She can't believe it happened. M3gan is finally gone. She nearly died at her own creation's hands, but Cady saved her. Cady. What'll happen to her and Phoebe now? "I find it very hard to believe a machine could form the intent to kill four people and a dog." The detective leans across the table in an intimidating manner. "Isn't it more logical to assume you, overwhelmed by the death of your sister, the sudden responsibility for two children and pressure to perform at work? And you used the doll as a scapegoat for your own crimes?

 "No. I only put the pieces together a few days ago myself.  Besides, what motivation could I possibly have to kill those people?"  The officer looks at his notes. "Your niece mentioned on the day of the park incident that the boy was hurting her. You heard her scream and saw him standing over her. We're not sure how he lost his ear, but all the same he ended up falling into the street. You killed your neighbors dog because you were mad a euthization order wasn't possible after the dog killed your nieces' dog." 

He went on to explain the prevailing theory at the time. That mounting pressure from work and being a guardian to two kids she barely knew beforehand came to a head on the night the launch was suposed to happen. That she snapped and killed David after he got on her nerves one too many times. And Kurt because it would make it look like a murder suicidal then she took the girls for ice cream to attempt an alibi. Later, she trashed her workroom and destroyed the doll in a nervous breakdown as the full ramifications of her actions dawned on her. 

"What happened before you went home earlier today?" A different officer asks the girls gently. Cady and Phoebe are exhausted. Still in their pajamas, hair disheveled. And of course Phoebe had left her glasses in their case on her nightstand. "Aunt Gemma was acting weird." Phoebe is still aware enough of the situation to know she had to protect M3gan. The best way is to spin the lie around a grain of truth.

"How so?"

"She kept saying M3gan was malfunctioning and she was dangerous, then she convinced us to abandon the launch and go home." The officer types away at her laptop. "Mmm hmmm. What happened later that night?"

This time it's Cady who answers. "I heard a loud bang. We went to investigate. Aunt Gemma  sent us back to bed. But there was more noise." Cady explains what happened, but the officer doesn't seem convinced. "Is that what happened Phoebe?" Cady gives her sister a pleading look. But the younger girl is strong in her resolve. "Sorta... I was groggy and still emotional from earlier. I remember  Gemma's workroom was destroyed, M3gan was there. She seemed to be working ok until Cady used Gemma's other robot to snap her in half. Then  it's a blur again until I heard the sirens." Again, basically the truth. Already, the details were starting to muddle together.

Things are starting to come together. Or at least that's what the cops think. For Gemma and Cady though, this is an uphill battle. And Phoebe is acting as a coumterweight.