Chapter One

TW: Blood/Gore, Abuse/Rape, Bullying, Cursing/Slurs

The only noise that could be heard in the classroom was the rhythmic pitter-patter of rain hitting the school roof.

Although the sound might be distracting to the other third years taking the math exam, Asahi Azumane found the background noise soothing, helping him to stay focused on his task.

Maybe the rain was part of the reason the brunette finished his test so quickly, sure most of his answers were correct.

The rain left a calming feeling in his soul. The earthy smell soothing his mind and heart, and the warm, damp feeling of the air relaxing his muscles.

Asahi Azumane loved the rain for many reasons.

The annoying sound of rain hitting the roof, echoing throughout the English classroom, was going to be the death of him.

It was like his mind jumped on any opportunity to get off task and he couldn't do a thing to stop it.

Nishinoya Yuu knew he was practically failing every subject, so why, just this once, couldn't he focus. English was one of his harder subjects which was saying something considering everything was hard for him.

This is why the small boy sat in his seat screaming at his mind to pay attention and to stay present, only serving to distract him more. If he wasn't going to be able to learn anything anyway, he might as well just get lots in his mind. Plus, zoning out made his mind relax.

Noya didn't like the rain. It brought back bad memories.

All those nights spent out in the cold during storms that threatened to hurt him or being left all alone in a pool of his own blood, once again, in the rain.

Nishinoya Yuu hated the rain for many reasons.

Around four o'clock, eleven of the twelve Karasuno boys volleyball team members made their way through the rain and to the gym where their coach was waiting for them.

When the whole team had accumulated by the benches of the large gymnasium, they realized a certain libero was missing.

"Hey, where's Noya?" Suga asked, being the first to notice the lack of their energetic sunshine.

He only got several "I don't know"'s and murmurs of where he could be.

Noya was always the first person to the gym, ready to start practice with his friends, so his sudden absence was a bit alarming. Everyone on the team knew that the small boy wouldn't skip a practice if he had the flu. Last time, they had to drag the boy away from the school.

"I can go back to the school and see if he's still there. Or I'll ask if he signed out to leave early." Asahi offered. It was truly his nature to be kind to everyone even if he found them annoying.

Don't get him wrong, Suga loves the younger libero, but sometimes the boy could be a bit much. Considering Asahi's personality and the way Noya was always practically hanging off of him, the older setter couldn't imagine his friend felt completely comfortable with it.

Diachi clapped the long haired brunette on the back. "That would be great of you, Asahi."

With that, the brunette made the walk back to the main school building through the pouring rain. He hoped he wouldn't catch a cold later.

Noya was panicking.

The small boy couldn't stand the idea of being out in the rain. The way the wetness would leave him damp and feeling cold. The way his clothes would stick to his skin and how his hair would be all in his eyes.

But no matter how much the boy wanted to stay where he was, he didn't have much time left. Not before they found him.

Noya had been walking around the school for a while now, hoping to avoid the group of boys he really couldn't face seeing right now.

If Noya had learned anything in his time on earth, it was that his luck only lasted so long.

Soon enough, the short boy found himself face to face with what appeared to be the leader of this little group. Well, he can't say face to face considering the boy was probably a little over 175 centimeters while Noya was only 160. Life could be cruel.

"Well look what we found here!" The boy sneered, bending down to look Noya in the eye. "If it isn't the little fag of Karasuno."

Noya didn't even know the boy's name and didn't suspect he knew his either. How does someone talk to another person like that without even knowing their name?!

"And what's it to you?" Noya met the other boy's eyes, standing his ground. He refused to just stand there and take their insults. He was the Guardian Deity of his team. The team that had become his family. He wasn't going to let them or himself down by allowing himself to be pushed around by a bunch of jerks.

A blond boy standing to the side of the brunette who was getting in his face piped up, "Look who's acting all high and mighty. A lot of talk from a boy so small."

Noya didn't get it. Why did people pick on others just for the sake of doing it? He remembers being told by one of his old friends from elementary school that her mom said that bullies picked on you because they were jealous, but these boys had nothing to be jealous of.

"Aww. Nothing to say, pipsqueak? Y'know, you're kind of cute for a boy. Are you sure you're not a girl?" A black haired kid with glasses piped up from behind him.

Noya hadn't noticed the group of five circling him.

"I'm not a girl." The small boy growled out, glaring at each boy.

The brown haired one huffed out a laugh. "Hmm. Maybe we should check just to make sure."

The group started closing in on him, each with their own expression of malicious want evident in their eyes.

At that moment, Noya prayed. He prayed to any god that might be listening. He prayed that whatever happened would be quick and then the boys would just leave him alone. He prayed to get out of that school in one piece.

Luckily for him, someone he wasn't expecting managed to intervene at the exact right moment.

"What's going on here?"