Chapter Two

TW - cursing/slurs, mention of blood/abuse, bullying, rape

"What's going on here?"

The group of boys knew they had been caught, so thinking quickly, the blond pulled Noya close and slung an arm over the smaller boy's small, shaking frame.

"We were just hanging out with our best bud." The boy smirked, squeezing the libero's shoulder a bit harder than necessary.

Noya smiled reassuringly at his savior.

"Yeah, Asahi-san! I just lost track of time."

The boy slipped out of the blond's tight grasp and walked over to Asahi, grabbing his arm and pulling him along.

"Let's get to the gym! See you later, guys!" Luckily, holding onto Asahi's arm stopped the shaking in his hands from being so noticeable.

Noya's heart was still racing as the two boys walked back to the gym, through the buckets of rain that were still pouring from the sky much to Noya's dismay.

"Are you okay?" The small boy was caught off guard by the sudden question. "You don't seem quite like yourself."

Noya smiled brightly at his upperclassman."The rain just makes me a bit tired. I'm fine, Asahi-san, but, thank you."

"You don't have to thank me. I'm your friend, so of course I'm concerned." Asahi grabbed the libero's hand, squeezing slightly. Not in a harsh way like the blond from earlier was squeezing his shoulder. This was a soft, caring kind of gesture that instantly spread warmth throughout the usually energetic boy's body.

Asahi-san considered him a friend.

When the two made it back to the gym, Coach yelled at Noya to go get dressed, then join the team in their drill.

Once the team's guardian returned fully dressed this time, Coach pulled him aside for a moment.

"Where were you?" He asked, already unhappy with whatever answer was to come. Knowing the boy, it would never be a good one.

"I was talking with a few friends and lost track of time. Sorry, Coach. It won't happen again." Noya bowed his head as the older man sighed, running a hand down his face.

"It better not. Now go join the team."

The libero nodded enthusiastically, happy to be playing the sport he loved with the people he loved. Relieved to now be with his team, he tried to forget about what happened earlier.

Throughout practice, Noya kept repeating the same thing in his mind over and over again. Ignore the rain. Ignore the rain. Ignore the rain. Ignore the rain. Ignore the rain.

Repeating that sentence in his head helped him to stay focused, allowing his body to do what it was supposed to, while not overthinking and trusting his gut.

But of course, practice ended far too early for his liking.

At the end when everyone was changed and had grabbed their bags to leave, Coach Ukai and Takeda-Sensei called both Noya and Asahi over.

"So, we have been informed by the school that your grades aren't looking too good, Nishinoya." Takeda began. "So, we were hoping if it's okay with you, Asahi, and doesn't conflict with your schedule, that you would possibly tutor Nishinoya until his grades go up a bit."

Noya immediately went to protest, upset with the idea of having to be tutored. He was going to go pro in volleyball, so his grades shouldn't matter. But before he could voice his protests, Ukai interrupted him.

"If you don't get your grades up you are off the team."

That shut Noya right up.

Volleyball is the only thing in his life that he really enjoys. It's the reason he gets up in the morning and makes it through the day. This sport is the only thing keeping him going, and he wasn't going to let anything take that away from him.