Pre-Written Summer

I'm sitting on the bus zoning out for who knows how many hours, the green scenery outside the glass window flashing infront of me all the way. My mother, who had cooked three meals a day for several weeks, no longer wanting to cook, she simply signed me up for a summer camp.

Summer camp is the time for parents to take a break. She always says that it is beneficial for me, but I clearly understand that it is my mother's way to get rid of me temporarily. My summer vacation plans come to nothing every year, but I already got used to those boring days anyways.

Several girls of the same age live in one room. The first name I remember is Kang Haerin. While the other girls took turns introducing themselves enthusiastically, Haerin stood alone in the corner unpacking her belongings. I walked forward without thinking, wanting to get to know her.

"My name is Kim Minji, what's yours?" I greeted her, eagerly stretching my hands out for a handshake.

Haerin takes a step forward, take my hand anxiously and shake it, I can't help but notice the way it trembles under my touch. Her feline-like eyes can't keep themselves from shifting away.

"I-umm, my name...I'm Kang Haerin." she whispers but it's audible enough for me, I like her voice the most, it's soft like melting marshmallows.

"Got it, nice to meet you, Haerin!" I gave her a small nod, she's adorable. Maybe this summer won't be so boring after all.

The scenery in the suburbs brings calmness to one's mind, and I have the whole morning to roam freely. Someone suggested to take the cable car to the top of the mountain. That's the best location to watch the sunset from.

Haerin and I come together naturally, sitting shoulder to shoulder in the carriage. Haerin suddenly lowered her head and rummaged through her bag for a while before taking out a knotted headphone cable.

"Do you want to listen to music?" she asks me like this, as if the woods outside the carriage are already in context.

"You also use wired headphones?" I smiled and took out the headphone cable that was also balled up in a ball from my pocket.

Haerin handed me the left earphone, I tucked my hair behind my ear and inserted the earphone in. The music started playing, we have a tacit understanding, without saying a word to each other, listening to the melody in our ears.

I couldn't remember whether I listened to music without any lyrics or it's English songs that I couldn't understand. I could only remember that we were sitting like this, in plain silence. The world seems so small that only this carriage is left, that only two shoulders clinging to each other.

From the top of the mountain, I could clearly see the scenery in the sky. I shifted my head to see Haerin's body leaning against the railing, with a hint of anticipation in her eyes. I can't help but smile at the sight of her watching over the breathtaking sunset.

The sky changes from minute to minute, from orange yellow to flamboyant pink. The golden disc touching the surface of the earth. It seems in a hurry to disappear, slipping quickly behind the lines of the horizon spreading its last rays.

Such a beautiful thing is happening infront of me, but my attention is entirely focused on Haerin. Her cheeks are obviously dusted with the colour orange. Her sharp eyes are taking my attention, she's like a cat in every form and every way.

My body can't help but want to get closer to her, wanting to feel her warmth when I embrace her.

After spending a few days together, I notice Haerin has a habit of writing diaries. A lake blue soft cover book with cat stickers right on the cover. Haerin's handwriting is very neat and her punctuation marks are precise. After done showering, I huddled up in bed in my pyjamas.

"Write my name down so you can always remember me." Seeing her on the bed, concentrating on writing words to her diary, I said it out expressing my thoughts.

Haerin narrowed her eyes with a smile, "I won't forget you even if I don't write it down." As she spoke,
she still lowered her head and wrote, rubbing the blue pen against the beige paper. You stared at her side profile, the thin frames of her glasses slid down to the bridge of her nose, and she pushed them up back again with her fingers.

Turning off the lights, we faced each other, sleeping in each other's warm breath.

-

It seems like every summer camp has a bonfire party on the last night. Haerin teaches me how to put marshmallows on the wooden sticks and roast them on the fire. The surface of the white marshmallow slowly turns brown, and smoke of happiness floats out.

The firelight illuminated Haerin's face brightly, with bright hair, bright cheeks, and a bright star necklace on her neck. Haerin stuck out her tongue to lick the marshmallow stuck to her lips, and a sweet taste lingered between my lips and teeth.

I added Haerin's contact information on the return bus. I said seriously, we need to send messages every day. Haerin didn't answer, just pursed her lips and smiled. When a car full of children clamored and swarmed out of the car, I am suddenly pricked by a small thorn of "separation" on my fingertips. It seems that everyone is a piece of sand carried by the strong wind. They gather together briefly because of the wind, and are destined to say goodbye soon.

I suddenly thought, let's give it a hug, Haerin. At least our body temperature will prove that we have met. But I didn't say it out after all. Goodbye then, keep in touch in the future.

Haerin, our story is like a small peck on the corner of the lips. Because I know the ending, I wouldn't dare to try to press our lips together at all. As if everything is a pre-written script, then our abrupt ending seems to have an unknown and profound meaning.