three,, oh, someone gets thrown off a cliff-

AVERY

.CHAPTER THREE.

oh, someone gets thrown off a cliff-

AVERY DIDN'T KNOW what kind of monster dr. thorn was, but he was fast.

she dragged her feet as they walked, shivering in the cold. percy was even further away, holding his shoulder.

"what are you doing, jackson?" hissed dr. thorn. "keep moving!"

"it's my shoulder," he complained "it burns."

"bah! my poison causes pain. it will not kill you. walk!"

thorn marched them through the woods. they were followy a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. the cold wind bit against avery's bare shoulders. she had left her coat behind the pillar with the other's bags. she felt like an ice lolly.

"there is a clearing ahead," thorn said. "we will summon your ride."

"what ride?" bianca demanded. "where are you taking us?"

"silence, you insufferable girl!"

"don't talk to my sister that way.'" nico said. his voice quivered, but avery was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all.

dr. thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. it made the hairs stand up on the back of avery's neck, but she forced herself to keep walking and pretend she was being a good little captive. she was trying to think of a plan while nearly dying of hypothermia.

"halt," thorn said.

the woods had opened up. they'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. at least, that's what avery thought it was. she could hear the waves crashing against the rocks and smell the cold salty froth. the scent was familiar to avery, last last time she saw aphrodite, her mother, she smelt exactly like it. she also had pretty green eyes that reminded avery of the ocean.

dr. thorn pushed them toward the edge. percy stumbled, and bianca caught him. "thanks," he murmured.

"what is he?" she whispered. "how do we fight him?"

"i... i'm working on it."

"sure you are jackson, keep telling yourself that—"

"oh shut up, princess"

"i'm scared," nico mumbled. he was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"stop talking!" dr. thorn said. "face me!"

they turned.

thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. he pulled something from under his coat. at first avery thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. he pressed the side button and said, "the package—it is ready to deliver."

what the fuck, is this guy objectifying us? because that's sexist! thought avery.

there was a garbled reply, and avery realized thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. this seemed way too modern and creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.

dr. thorn laughed. "by all means, son of poseidon. jump! there is the sea. save yourself."

"what did he call you?" bianca muttered.

"we'll explain later," avery said.

"you do have a plan, right?"

"percy, do you have a plan?" avery asked percy. his face was scrunched up like he was constipated. "jackson, what the fuck—"