25. All Signs Point To Yes

Gwen did not appreciate where she was, and within ten minutes of the so-called meeting, she made sure this was a well-known fact by everyone around the table

From what she had gathered, the Order of the Phoenix was a secret society that had been formed by Albus Dumbledore in order to combat against Lord Voldemort and his fanbase. Gwen was still a bit lost on that whole front, admittedly—she'd heard of this Voldemort bloke, of course, but she had no idea what a Death Eater was, or why Voldemort fancied killing people so much, or if Gwen herself was being targeted due to her blood status. From what she understood, though, the answer to at least the last question was yes, very much so.

Another thing she understood—which actually lessened her nerves a bit—was that this was not the entirety of the Order, which she had been thinking originally. It had begun to look quite meek and very much like they could easily fall to this Voldemort fellow, before the gruff man—Alastor Moody—had explained that most of their aurors were still in business and couldn't get away from the Ministry.

"So, my father was apart of... this?" Gwen whispered, as a Kingsley Shacklebolt reconvened at the head of the table.

Lily hummed confirmation. "It's quite a successful secret organisation, so far. Nobody knows about it except those directly involved. As for your father..."

     Peter picked up where Lily had trailed off. "Ted's told me once that Haz was their most proactive member. He had Order of Merlin, Second Class. He was brilliant, Gwen."

     A bitter taste entered her mouth. "Thanks, I know."

     Kingsley's voice picked up as Peter sunk deeply into his seat, embarrassed: "...and that's where you lot come into play."

     Suddenly, all eyes were on Gwen and the rest of the Hogwarts students at the other end of the table. They all froze in their spots, and it was clear that none of them had been even trying to listen to what Shacklebolt had been saying.

     "They're expecting an attack on Hogwarts," James explained to the rest of them, having been the only person younger than twenty listening. "They want us to be the primary defence."

     "Yeah, right," snorted Sirius, whose wand was tied up in his hair and held it into a bun. "Pete here can barely cast a Disarming right."

     "You're one to talk," said Remus, pointedly. "What exactly did you get on your Defence exam last term?"

     Sirius's cheeks turned a light shade of red, and he scowled at Remus. "Well, did better than Lily—"

     "Oh please," scoffed the girl in question, looking quite offended. "Just because practical exams aren't my strong suit doesn't mean I'm not good at defending myself!"