37. Nothing Happens

For the time being, it was decided that the Potter household would simply be placed under an Unplottability Charm, thus removing it plainly from maps and the like

                                               For the time being, it was decided that the Potter household would simply be placed under an Unplottability Charm, thus removing it plainly from maps and the like. Nobody of any importance knew where the Potters lived, anyway, so it was not yet put into place that a Fidelius Charm need be used. For now, Unplottable land would do, and very harsh rules in place so that the concealment would not give.

     Limited leaving. Limited guests. Limited parties.

     A suddenly limited life.

Of course, Gwen had not truly expected it to be all that glorious; her son was—most likely, at least—being hunted by the Dark Lord himself, and there was no possible way of knowing whether safe was truly safe. A dull life would be necessary to keep up the sanctity, of course.

Dull, however, was putting it lightly.

Within weeks, Gwen and James had bickered enough for a lifetime. Harry, always such a quiet baby, seemed to rightfully grow to hate the fact that he did not see his godfather or any of his aunts and uncles as often as he'd liked—the only times he was not crying was when Sirius was over, or when James was flying him around the living room.

It didn't help, of course, to be so out of the loop with recent happenings: News was nearly impossible to receive unless a visitor dropped by to give the family a nice little rundown of events, and even then, it was rare for them to stay long enough to be able to get everything out. The stress of not knowing was worse than the stress of knowing too much, Gwen decided within an instant.

They adapted to a nicely organized schedule of visits: Sirius every other night, or every, if he could make it—Harry enjoyed his presence the most. Remus tagged along as often as he could, but between each month's full moon and his duties to the Order, he found it difficult to fit in a visit to Godric's Hollow, which he was not faulted for. Peter dropped by unannounced quite often, though mostly around the ends of the weeks, and looking more nervous every time he showed up. Mary and Marlene, too, were sporadic with their visits, though Lily came dutifully every Sunday evening and was perhaps the most tactful at getting Gwen and James up to speed on everything.

By January of 1980, within two months of their hiding, they had already missed quite a bit.

Lily told them—stoically as she could—of the casualties of Gideon and Fabian Prewett, and described their downfall as 'heroic, as it took five Death Eaters to take down each of them', though that didn't make the news any easier to digest. She also brought up, on a lighter term, the newest (and, quite possibly, last) addition to the Weasley family—a girl, Ginevra.

"Named, I believe," said Lily, "after you, Gwen."

"Really?" said James, brow furrowed. "But your name isn't—"