1

WARNING! This chapter contains talks of suicide, a PTSD nightmare, abuse, child abuse, false use of religion, toxic people in religion and burial of a body! If these themes disturb you, please leave this chapter for your own good! The part where the whole text is in italics is where major dark themes are, when you see it skip it if dark themes disturb you!

Vatican City

(M/n)'s POV

Father Burke and I were called to Vatican City, actually more like Father Burke was called. I just followed along with him, him being my mentor during my studies into priesthood. Father Burke stared at the window into more parts of Vatican City and I kept looking at the letter my brother sent me while we waited.

"Word from family, boy?" Father Burke asked. I folded the letter and put it in my pocket.

"Nothing special, sir." I mumbled, clenching the locket, that was also in my pocket, in my hand.

"Father Burke?" Bishop Pasquale called from behind us.

"Bishop." The Bishop nodded.

"Come with me." Eyeing me as he and Father Burke walked side by side.

"So the last time you were here was what night? Six, seven years ago?" Bishop asked.

"After my time as a chaplain ended in the war, yes."

"Well, we appreciate you coming again under such short notice." The Bishop looked at me again, walked closer to Father Burke whispering him something.

"I would appreciate if those matters were not so spoken ill of by the higher-ups in the Vatican." Father Burke angrily replied, almost if spitting the sentence at the Bishop.

"Yes..." The Bishop looked back at me. "Apologies..."

We approached the door where the Cardinal and the Duke would be located.

Father Burke entered the room with no problem, but as I was about to ender a hand was placed on my shoulder, stopping me from entering.

"From what I was notified, only Father Burke was called, not you." The Bishop glared.

"And Father Burke is my mentor until I complete my studies, meaning I will follow him where ever he goes, Bishop." I spat.

"And if this has anything to do with my origin, I will do well to make you regret for ever having that information cross your mind." I angrily whispered.

"Bishop, bring the boy in." The Cardinal called. "He is a Seminarian, to become a Priest for this line of work, he must need to know the full process of it."

The Bishop looked at me one more time, releasing my shoulder and stepping inside. I followed, walking up to Father Burke, standing next to him while he sat.

"We have received news that a nun has taken her own life at an abbey in the mountains in Romania." The Cardinal informed us.

"Suicide is a terrible, terrible sin. But it doesn't strike me as strong enough reason for a reunion."

"But the news of it would not bolster our argument to keep with the faith and the Church."

"You're not telling us something."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because we're in the Vatican."

"Let me put it this way, Father. In this, albeit, rare instance, we do not believe we're the ones with the secret."