THE FIRE - KENNETH GROSS

Warning: Fire, attempted murder, gore

The fire burned.

5 year old Kenneth Gross never would have suspected his father would try to harm him. Carl had always been a safe haven for the little boy - as a father should! So why?

Why were Carl's hands around his throat?

Why couldn't he breathe?

Why was Carl hurting him?

Then he passed out, and then he was awake.

Carl was gone. He was alone, and smoke filled his bedroom - why was there smoke? Why was it getting so hot?

He got up from his bed and crawled towards the door, but the door wouldn't budge. Something was blocking it from the outside, and through his haze, Kenneth was beginning to panic.

"Daddy!" He cried out, pounding at the door. "Daddy, please!"

But nobody came.

Kenneth was alone.

He screamed and cried as the fire surrounded him, caging him in, and smoke filled his lungs until he couldn't breathe. He started coughing, choking, clawing at his throat as the fire burned his flesh, melting his skin away.

He fell to his knees and curled up on himself, crying.

Where was his dad? Why did this happen?

His little brain couldn't handle all these questions.

It hurt. It hurt so bad but there was nothing he could do but lay there and wait for death's warm embrace, and yet...

The door was suddenly open, there was the pounding of feet against the floor and then someone was picking him up. He was barely conscious at this point but he clung to the unknown man.

His dad had finally come back to him!

He smiled before he lost consciousness, happy and safe in his father's arms. He knew his dad wouldn't harm him.

.
.
.

"Where's my dad?"

"I'm sorry. Please don't cry."

"I want my dad!"

"Everything will be okay."