04. Try

04. Try

I was never one for rugby.

I know, my whole dating track record was now made up of exactly two rugby players, and yet here I was, zoning out during the game.

Georgie sat next to me—having somehow found me in the mess of the crowd—even less interested than I was. Her eyes were glued to her phone, taking cute sports-themed selfies for Instagram until the commentator mentioned the word Bishop, and suddenly her eyes were back on Corey.

I would have been a hypocrite if I criticised her, though.

Corey was hot, but Corey playing rugby was a whole other ball game—literally. The way the muscles in his legs and arms bulged as he played, the way he shoved his opponents back during a tackle.

This was the most interested I had ever been in a footy game.

Sure, he had a horrible personality, but you couldn't really see that when he played. Might as well enjoy the show.

Fifteen minutes passed before Corey scored his first try.

He slid over the grass, hand slamming the ball over the try line into the ground. The stands exploded. Corey threw his hands up, a shout coming from his grinning mouth. 

I didn't realise I was so absorbed with the game until I was on my feet, screaming my lungs out. Georgie screamed beside me, bouncing up and down, her hands in the air.

I never thought we'd be so passionate about sports.

Suddenly, Corey turned in the middle of his celebration, his eyes searching the crowd like he was looking for something. 

His eyes landed on me. My scream fell silent, my heart swelling my chest.

Slowly, he raised his hand to his chest. He tapped his fingers over his heart twice and then pointed directly at me.

"Oh, my God!" Georgie shouted from beside me.

"Oh, my God," I murmured.

The cameras spun, searching for the person Corey had been looking at, and suddenly my face was on all the screens of the stadium.

So, this was the grand announcement Corey had been talking about.

It took everything within me to not swear and shoot daggers in his direction. No, I had to play my part. The devoted girlfriend to the star player.

Sucking in a deep breath, I smiled widely at the cameras, waving my hands, and pointing at the team jersey Corey had leant me.

"Go Wolves!" I shouted, as if they could hear me. I held my hands up in a heart shape. "Go Corey!"

They must have been satisfied with my little show because the cameras were quickly back on the other team as they made their play.

I sighed, allowing my shoulders to slump as I sat back in my seat. Even then, I could feel eyes on me. I couldn't relax. Not really. Georgie nudged me in the ribs.

"Look at you," she teased, grinning. "The perfect girlfriend. 'Go Wolves!'"

I rolled my eyes at her impression of me. "Shut up. I was doing it for our deal. What's your excuse?"

"I was doing it for that hottie with a body, Mr Corey Bishop," Georgie said with zero shame. She waved a hand as Corey whizzed past, making a tackle. "Go Corey!"

"Have you ever even spoken to the guy?" I asked.

"Absolutely not," she said. "That would ruin the illusion. I prefer my men from a distance."