The Waiting Room (1)

“Yoooo Pen! You gotta check this out!” Carton exclaimed, holding his phone and calling his dear friend, Pendant

“Yoooo Pen! You gotta check this out!” Carton exclaimed, holding his phone and calling his dear friend, Pendant. Pendant, just a normal girl with a not-so-exciting life. She's often just in her house, barely even going outside unless she and her family have to go somewhere. Because why even go outside when there's nothing to do anyway? But that boring life of hers didn't last when she met Carton in year 10. He's the most outgoing person she had ever met, and possibly her only friend. It was nice to have friends for once.

Pendant looked at where Carton was and walked towards him. “What is it?” She asked him, leaning into his phone in his hands. He showed her a video of the new and latest invention of Celeste City's greatest scientist, Rubber, has created. It's called the Dream Visitor 3000. A glass helmet with some mumbo jumbo in it where once worn, you can enter and interact with anyone's dream. Sounds awesome, but Pendant is not really sure if that's legitimate.

“I dunno, do you think it might actually work?” She asked.

“Of course it will!” He answered.

“But she didn't even test it-”

“Don't care! I know it works!”

That's one thing about Carton that Pendant doesn't really like. He's really stubborn and pretty gullible. How can he be so sure that the Dream Visitor 3000 thing can actually work without a demo on screen? Not like Rubber can record in someone's dream, but at least show how she entered someone's dream like… falling unconscious? “Well, if you insist. Why don't we try buying one if she decides to sell it?” Pendant asked. It will cost a lot but they'll need it for proof. “Ehhh alright! It's probably gonna cost a hundred dollars or so. Millions even!”

“I know, we'll probably have to find a way to get that large amount of money.”

“Oh! I know! Let's start with selling organs!”

“Carton!!” Horrified with his idea, she slaps him.

“Hehe! I was just kidding! Let's sell like uhh… lemonade?”

Not really a bad idea, but producing millions from that won't be easy. Normally, a lemonade costs somewhere from $10 to $30. It would be really lucky of them if a lot of people bought from them and made that much money easily. “Yeah we can do that, but I dunno how to build a stall!” Pendant said. “Pen, don't worry! I have my dad to do the job!” Carton's dad, Mallet Hammer, is a great woodworker. A lot of people in Celeste City rely on him whenever some wood related work is needed. “Yeah sure we can get your dad's help. That is if he's not busy.”

Maybe they could also use some of Carton's dad's money, especially that he has helped a lot of people, he for sure made a lot of money from that. But Pendant's not sure. From the looks of it, his dad seems strict in a sense. He threatens kids to do such an act like locking them up in that one unfinished shed he's working on but he probably doesn't mean it, at least that's what she thought.

***

Pendant went home at about 5 in the afternoon after hanging out with Carton for half a day. “Pen! There you are!” Her mother, Rubellite, called out to her. She's at her work desk doing some paperwork. It's a surprise for Pendant that her mother still notices her even though she's really busy with her work. She works as an I.T. at some programming company.

“Hey mom.” Pendant said, placing her bag on the couch. “So me and Carton-” but before she could even continue what she's saying, Rubellite exclaimed, “What? You two are dating now? Nuh uh! You're still 16! You must be 18 before you can date anyone-!”

“Mom, no! Me and Carton are-”

“I know you two are dating. You always hang out with that Carton guy instead of spending time with your mother.”

“Mom please let me finish! I said, me and Carton are going to make a lemonade stall to earn money for… something. Also we're not dating mom! No!”

Rubellite then stopped annoying Pendant and took something from her drawing. She gave 3000 dollars to her, surprisingly. Not knowing what it was for, Pendant looked at the money her mom gave her for a second. “Uhm… mom? Why'd you give me 3000 dollars?” Pendant asked her mom. “It's your money so you and your rascal of a friend can make a stall! It costs to request someone to make something like that y'know. You can't create a lemonade stall yourself.” Her mom replied with a smile. “Thanks mom but I-” but then Pendant realized, she could use the 3000 dollars her mom gave to her, though she would still need more. “Yeah, thanks mom.” She said as she put the $3000 in her wallet in her bag.

To be honest, Pendant doesn't even need the Dream Visitor 3000, but just thought about purchasing it because Carton seemed to be so eager to try it out, and the only way to be able to try it for himself is to buy it. She wanted to help her friends, but she never had any friends to begin with as a kid so she wasn't able to help anyone. She's just there, in the background. Wishing that she could be noticed, to be there for her. Wishing that she had the courage to talk to someone, but she can't. I wish I wasn't like that. Wish I could actually… talk and stuff. She always thought that to herself. She and Carton met at the School Fair. She never felt so happy being able to make friends with someone, even though he could be infuriating at times.