1 - Bittersweet Beginnings

"A smile is multi faceted. It could be genuine, goofy, ingenuine or a facade. "

                                                                                              ----

"I can't believe you!"

I passed someone yelling at Freshie. What? "I gave you multiple pencils to borrow and you break them?" What an asshole. Who breaks other peoples pencils. "I was anxious!" Freshie weakly defended. "Stabbing me in the neck is not something I call anxiety."  There was a pause. "That's different!" Freshie countered. "You were getting on my nerves Xander..."

"Your crazy. Nobody is gonna be your friend because you're crazy."

Our eyes met as I walked by. For a second I saw an unreadable emotion flicker in those midnight black eyes. Then it was gone. Remorse? Guilt? Sadness? I didn't know. I looked away from Freshie and continued down the corridor. Eyes were still on me. They weren't harsh and judgemental, instead they were soft. Almost pleading. I shook my head to clear it. My heart continued to ache for no reason. No time to ponder, I needed to get to class.

"Hey! Wanna join me?"

I heard someone call from behind me. I turned around and saw Freshie. "Sure?" Why was he inviting me to sit with him? We barely know each other.  Nor did we exist in the same social circles. Thursday was quiet. Not a lot of people in the lunchroom. Maybe I was craving someone to talk to? Nonetheless I took my lunch tray and sat with him.

"How are you?" Freshie asked, dark eyes studying my tired face. "Okay, you?" To our right other occupants bickered about something over their lunches. I listened to him rant about something before asking someone else their opinion. That person tuned around, "wow big deal! Look ladies and gentlemen! He lost 5 pounds!"

I flinched softly. My appetite slowly declined as I heared, Are you sure you should have eaten that sandwich? So many carbs. I shook my head. Ugh go away, Greyson. Push me away all you want but those carbs will make you fat.

Shut up! I screamed, no longer hungry.

"I should get back to class, my break is almost over," I told Zach, getting up.

"Not a problem." I could tell  that was a lie. He was confused, maybe even hurt I was leaving? I didn't dwell on it. "Later!" I said, getting up. I dumped the half full tray into the trash before putting the tray away and going upstairs. My tummy whined softly from being half full. I push that away and focused on my other feelings. Why am I suddenly shy?...I am never shy!

        "Are you' sure?" My friend Olive asked me. "Not gonna lie, he sounds kind of an asshole." I studied Olive's dark features and bright make up. Her hair was pulled back into several tiny braids. "Yes Olive, I don't usually feel this way around people," I said, scribbling more on my homework. This library comer was pretty empty. And cozy. No wonder Olive is here a lot.

My friend sighed before asking, "Why do you think you're feeling this way?" My hand paused in writing."I know I sound crazy but it's like our interests align. You wouldn't be here if you didn't like to play board games or read. Or if you're studious. But if he breaks my trust, he's not my friend," I replied, inclined to give Freshie a chance to prove his friendship.

"Okay just be careful," Olive said, "Real life ain't always what them books are about."I nodded. As cliche as that sounded, I understood why she was cautious and I won't deny not really liking Freshie either. So I understood where my best friend from 9th grade was coming from. But why was I still so inclined to befriend this rude person. Man this is turning to a good girl intrested in badboy/grumpy boy troupe you'd find online or in books.

I just hope it doesnt come to that. Will it?