in which pete is a loser and mikey is oblivious to how gay both of them are

based on the prompt: "someone started a rumour that we're dating so let's turn the tables"

Apparently the rumour had started on Tuesday, but Mikey didn't find out about it until Friday. And when he did, he could barely believe that anyone else would genuinely think that it was true. He and Pete Wentz? Dating? No, no, Pete was his best friend, nothing more.

He wanted to know who started this whole thing, and hopefully to put an end to it before it got out of hand. School was done for the week, though, and he didn't really know enough people to have much of a chance finding out that way, so he figured the next best thing to do was to see if Pete had heard about it. After all, it was as much about him as it was about Mikey.

Pete answered the phone right away.

"Hey, Mikey Way!"

"Hi, Pete."

"Oh, did you hear that rumour about us? I keep forgetting to tell you about it."

"What, how long have you known about that? I only just found out, like, a few minutes ago."

"Heard about it a few days ago."

"And you never told me?"

"Wasn't thinking about it."

"Really," Mikey said skeptically.

"Yeah!"
"But do you know where it came from? Like who started it?"

"Not a clue."

"If it turns out to be, like, Gerard trying to be funny I'm gonna-"

"Well, it is pretty funny though, don't you think?"

"What?"

"That people actually think we're dating, I mean."

"I guess so, but I still want to know who started it."

"You know what would be even funnier though?"

"What?"

"If we actually, like, fake-dated, to turn the tables."

"How would that be-"

"Trust me on this one, Mikey Way, it'd be great."

-

About an hour later, the two of them were hanging out at Pete's house, half-watching a movie and half-planning the whole fake-dating scheme. They were on the couch, Mikey laying flat with his head resting in Pete's lap (but, like, in a totally 100% heterosexual way).

"So if we're going to pretend to date, we have to be believable."

"I still don't get wh-"

"Just trust me, Mikey; I know what I'm doing."

"But-"

"Just go with it and you'll understand the joke later."

Mikey shrugged. "Okay."

"Great, okay, so to be believable we'll have to act all romantic and stuff."

"What, like, in public?"

"Yes, in public. Kissing in secret won't do much for our plan, would it?"

Mikey's face went red. "Uh, you're right, yeah."

"Hey, don't worry, we don't have to make out or anything- unless you want to, that is."

"Oh, um, no we don't need to do that."

"Yeah, but we should still, like, hold hands and stuff."

"Oh."

"It won't be that hard to pull off, dude, don't worry. We probably won't even have to lie and say we're actually dating, since people already think that now. So if we start acting even a little gayer I'm sure they'll all just make those assumptions on their own."