CHAPTER 5

The lavender may be in disguise but her scent is still strong

1 month later

The air inside this bar is humid, the fan above me barely helps with the heat. This place reeks of sweat and beer. The cold beer in my hand helps with this predicament. I've been hunting Shadow down. I haven't contacted anyone since the ambush. My parents have no idea what's happening and I have no idea where Zuri and Max are.

I got a new phone but have been careful when using it. I know I need to contact the rest of my team but have been busy. This is a lead I've been following. Either Shadow has come to this bar or someone who knows Shadow has.

A man comes over to bring me another beer. "Escuché un hombre llamado Shadow visitó este lugar," I say.
(I heard a man named Shadow visited this place)

Good thing mom made me learn a few languages.

The man froze in his place and glanced at me. "Si fuera tú, olvidaría que escuché ese nombre." He says as he turns to leave.
(If I were you I'd forget I heard that name.)

"Por favor solo dame cualquier información," I say urgently.
(Please just give me any information)

The man doesn't look at me "Escuché que un hombre llamado Shadow asistirá a un baile. Es casi imposible entrar a menos que no fueras invitada"
(I heard a man named Shadow will be attending a ball. It's almost impossible to get in without an invite)

I smirk at the mention of this. I can get in as Katherine Solarian.

The man starts walking away "Nunca escuchaste esto de mi"
  (You never heard this from me)

"Gracias," I said before standing up and leaving a 200-dollar tip.

I walk out of the bar and walk through the crowded streets. I see a bus and walk up to the driver. "Necesito que me lleves al este"
(I need a ride to the east)

"¿Tienes dinero?" The man asks, eyeing me. I don't look like I have a lot of money. I have some black shorts on, a baggy black plain T-shirt and some combat boots.
(You have money?)

I reach into my pocket and pull out a hundred-dollar bill causing the driver to open the door. I know exactly what ball Shadow will be attending. It's the only important ball that's coming up. The Awakening ball. A ball where rich people gather together and brag about their achievements.

I'll be attending as Katherine Solaria. Shadow didn't see my face when I met him so I won't be noticed by him.
                             >>>>>>>>>>>>>

My head rests on the car window as my surroundings flash by. This mission wasn't supposed to end up like this. Mini and Conner weren't supposed to die.

Mom told me that your life can change in a blink of an eye. She said that everyone has hard times and that one day I'll have mine. She also said that those hard times build you into who you are because getting over hardships makes you stronger than ever.