A Journey to a New Life

Marinette

The elevator signalled their arrival to the reception area of the building, the doors opening and Marinette's phone welcoming her back to the world of tabloid chaos.

Ping!

Ping!

Ping!

She wasn't a popular girl, and to have her phone signalling this many messages could only mean one thing, her parents were desperate to know what the hell was going on. At the moment she had zero idea what to say to them. Emma was a random toddler whose age she didn't know, where she came from and why she was calling herself Maman and Adrien Papa.

In a way she thought it was some sort of well constructed prank, but she couldn't deny the similarities between the child and both her and Adrien: the bright blonde hair and glowing green eyes, the shape of her face and depth of her eyes...she really was an intricate combination of the two of them.

An overwhelming feeling took over her, causing her to absentmindedly rub cheek into Emma's hair, taking in the softness and sweet, subtle baby scent. She didn't realise toddlers still had a smell, thinking that they lost it when they grew, but she was glad to say she was completely mistaken. Maybe it was the shampoo used, or even the smell of fabric conditioner from where she'd rubbed her head in her bedsheets, but the smell was heavenly — and she couldn't get enough.

Marinette looked down at the girl who had collapsed on her shoulder. The small child had worn herself out screaming, finally falling asleep from the gentle vibrations of the elevator. Her legs hung heavy as Marinette channelled some of her superheroes, determined not to make an even bigger idiot of herself and drop the child.

Her eyes flickered to the side, catching the sharp jawline of Adrien and she winced. Had she actually just shouted at him in a storage room? It was like something out of a romantic comedy... except it wasn't romantic and it definitely wasn't funny.

"Do you want me to hold her?" Adrien turned to look at her. His soft eyes and turned down eyebrows almost made him seem as awkward as she did. It was a shame he didn't feel that way in his father's office when he was about to explain exactly how he 'knocked her up'.

"I know I have a lot to explain," Adrien said softly and quietly as they made their way towards the exit where an escort was already preparing to take them to a car. A crowd had already started to gather outside the building and she was glad Adrien had the forethought to call ahead for security.

Adrien stopped her before they reached the door, placing a hand on her elbow and turning her slightly to face him. "Please," he begged, "trust me."

"I don't know you well enough to trust you," Marinette whispered, turning and continuing towards the door. Emma was weighing her down and she needed to get into the car before they both ended up in a heap on the floor. Maybe Adrien should have carried her?

She stepped through the glass doorway as Adrien held it open for her, catching the quiet words leaving his lips as she passed. "In some other time and place, you did."

Choosing to ignore that comment. Marinette climbed into the back of the waiting car, keeping herself and Emma's heads blocked in hope the few press members wouldn't catch any evidence of her newly found parenthood.

She caught a glimpse of a car seat, one perfectly sized for Emma, and manoeuvred around to place the sleeping toddler inside it, hoping the movement didn't wake her up. The sound of the door slamming behind her caused her to turn and give the guilty party a death glare.

He waved his hands in surrender, her eyes rolling involuntarily as she turned back to buckle in Emma.

"Are you going to explain this to me?" Marinette said, settling herself in the seat beside her sleeping child.