Chapter 4

The man currently addressing them looked far too young to be the Chief Executive Officer of anything. Nadeem was certain that everyone in the room shared the same opinion. But whether they liked it or not, he was the boss.

However, there happened to be a catch-- he was to learn while on the job;observe and get accustomed to the operations. If that were the case, why couldn't he become an intern or something and work his way up the ladder like everyone else? Was a tech company a joke to people these days? The questions on everyone's tongue.

The acting CEO had introduced him as Jonah Ford, a caucasian who appeared to be in his twenties. He spoke eloquently and as though he had in depth knowledge of the tech world. Most likely the youngman had some fancy degree to somehow win the management over.

The more he studied the young man,the more Nadeem's displeasure grew. The last thing they needed was some self entitled, rich kid ordering them around and demanding respect because he'd been so privileged in life. There was something else, something about this man who'd appeared out of thin air that caused him great unease.

When the meeting ended, everyone cordially shook hands with the supposed head, exchanging smiles and farewells. Nadeem got up to do the same.

"Mr Adelakun, " Jonah said as they shook.

Nadeem tried not to cringe as his name was phonetically destroyed by the younger man's accent, but his face betrayed him.

"It sounded better in my head," Jonah said apologetically.

"I've heard worse," Nadeem consoled. "You'll get used to it." Much closer, he noticed Jonah's eyes, that unease doubling as he asked, " Is this your first time in the country, Mr Jonah?"

"Just Jonah is fine for now, sir," Jonah smiled. " It appears to be." He caught a look in Nadeem's eye. " I see you have doubts about me. Apparently, everyone does."

"As it should be. We don't know you or anything about the credibility of your abilities. So far, we just know you speak very good English."

Jonah chuckled. They walked towards the glass doors where they stood. "I intend to change that in due time, and earn the respect fitting to the position."

He'd been expecting arrogance and conceit and was disarmed by Jonah's sincerity. It must be some strategy to get them to conform, he thought. Nadeem regained composure."See that you do."

"I hope you'll be open to offering me assistance when the need arises."

"Of course. Whatever I can help with. I'm the assistant manager of the human resource department, though."

"It doesn't matter. I'm sure there's something for me to learn there." Jonah smiled again. Nadeem found himself relaxing under the amiable atmosphere the younger man had created.

"Your leg, I noticed it was causing you some trouble during your speech."

Jonah looked impressed."You have keen eyes, sir. Most people don't notice."

"It's my job to," Nadeem demurred. "Please, call me Mr Ade. Can you manage that?"

"I think I can," Jonah paused. " It resulted from a childhood trauma."

Satisfied, Nadeem nodded. "Anyways, good luck to you. Have a great day, Jonah." Maybe the man wasn't so bad after all.

*******

"What is all this?" Jawaria asked Zainab as she entered the Kitchen. Her daughter was ladling soup into a plate,a food flask in front of the pot.

"Nadeem was called to the office for a meeting so he skipped breakfast thinking it would only take a few hours," Zainab explained. " He called me and said he plans to stay back and see something through."