Chapter 8

The leaves rustled with the cool breeze; the night eeirely quiet. The silence lasted several minutes, each person contemplating about choices soon to be made.

"Just how much do you know?" Uche was sitting across from Lawrence. "Just how much did Huma tell you."

"The girl has nothing to do with this," He said. "Most of what I know about you is through research. Whatever additional information she provided, she did it for your own good."

Uche snorted. "Right,"

"She really cares about you,"

"She thinks she cares. I'm just a passing fancy to her. Someone who reminds her of someone. It's infatuation."

"Is it that hard to believe? That someone could actually care for you despite how you look?" Lawrence said. " After what you've been through, I can't blame you."

"Don't talk to me like you know anything," Uche seethed. "What you know, you read."

"Then tell me."

Uche chuckled humorlessly, her eyes stinging. "There's no point. They sent you, didn't' they? They've been bidding their time, just waiting. I knew it. You just happened to talk to me that day at the local restaurant and every other thing that happened afterwards. Fucking coincidence."

" You're right. It wasn't just a mere coincidence. I'd been stalking you long before then."

"If you're going to kill me, then just do it." Her heart had been thumping with trepidation since the conversation started. Although she'd always known but being aware didn't soften the blow of it all.

"I'm not going to kill you. If I'd wanted to, I'd have done that a long time ago."

Uche frowned bitterly. "Then what the hell do you want? I don't have money, so blackmail will get you no where. Sex? You don't want sex with me,because apparently you don't want me that way," she sniffed. "So what do you want? Let's work something out."

******

She was on edge. He could see sweat glisten across her forehead despite the cold. She was frightened despite the seemingly unruffled exterior. These people truly did terrify her.

Just how much could he reveal?

"The people I work for don't want to kill you, Uche. They want information."

Her brows creased.

"You are affiliated with the Ehondon family. They want information on embezzlement, money laundering, lobbying, tax evasion.They intend to blackmail or use it as evidence for their imprisonment."

"I won't do it."

Lawrence gave a lopsided smile."I was afraid you'd say that. You never make things easy. I can't see why though? They kicked you out."

" They had no choice. Not after everything I've done. Not after the pain I caused them. They did the best they could." He saw her struggle for composure. " So no, I'm not going to betray them. Kidnapping me won't work, either. They have no reason to pay ransom. Not anymore."

"Your mother," Their eyes met. She averted her gaze, sniffling. " One thing we have in common."

"So what now? I won't give in."

"I did expect reluctance, so we try another way." He paused. " Be my girlfriend."

"What?" Uche looked baffled.

"The people who want this information are always watching Uche, even now. The initial plan was to....," Lawrence couldn't bring himself to say it but he had to. He passed a hand through his hair. " Seduce you."