Chapter 18: Scared

Lexi

I found my way safely back into our rooms.

The next day, Jacden was announced to be missing. A little suspicion and a few glares came our way, but our alibi was impeccable. After all, two of us had borne the third to our rooms last night and stayed with her all night. Nothing was even slightly amiss with us— the plan had gone wonderfully, thanks to my experienced, efficient partners.

By all reason, we knew nothing about the dead bat in the diggings under the castle. Our plan held together firmly, even with all the unplanned detours and near fails. It was a rare occurrence that a mission was pulled off so well, but who was I kidding, I was out here with two of the best Witches any coven had to offer.

In fact, Jacden's death was a good thing in disguise. Mirabel used it as an excuse for us to leave the Vampire Palace as soon as possible, since "the castle had become uncomfortable for us." The Vampire King, my mate, appeared at the morning meal, which I dodged for precisely that reason. The vampires were in a hurry to usher us out, being thrown into a jumbled frenzy by the conditions of their Royal Advisor's death.

Most of those details were not disclosed to us; but since we were the ones responsible, of course we knew everything. But the King allowed us out with promises to consider our mistress' desires. With smiles and bows, we left the castle under the eyes of hundreds of witnesses.

It was hilarious how they let the culprits through their gates without batting an eyelash, but as a part-time assassin, I knew that sometimes missions go better than expected.

I had, for the most part, blocked Lattis in my mind. She was always talking about our mate, and I firmly refused to think about him for the rest of the journey home.

I didn't want to think about his conversation with Imogen. About the fact that he was the vampire Lord, and what that would mean for us. About the possibility that he truly cared about me.

I forcefully dragged myself under, placing myself in a deep slumber in the limo.

***

Someone shoved me ruthlessly off the couch. I sputtered and coughed, looking up to see Mirabel sound asleep on the opposite couch and Rowan staring at me worriedly. Something caught my eye, and I turned in time to see a dark, skittering figure disappear behind the couch. I cursed and clambered back onto the couch.

"Do you usually fall out of bed?" Rowan asked, amused.

"Oh, you have no idea," I said dryly.

He cackled at my expense while I buried my head and groaned. The Pearl Sea wouldn't let me sleep? All because I chose to save the life of a warlock that was currently snickering at me because he thought I had fallen off the couch.

"Hey," he said. "What do you think about that Advisor's phonecall? What key do you think he wanted?"

"He mentioned a ledger," I muttered sleepily, only to feel a sting in my head that kept me awake.

"Yeah. Though I wonder why it would be so important that he would threaten someone with their children's lives."

"Must be for some code in the Palace," I murmured.

"He was the Advisor. He probably had access to every door in that Palace. I bet the whole royal family is involved."

"Nah," I shook my head. "He was brewing this war behind the king's back. Aevran was clueless."

"Aevran?"

"Uh, yeah," I blinked. "The Advisor said his name during the fight before I killed him."

Rowan nodded. I shook my head groggily, turning my back to him and trying to catch a wink of sleep.