Chapter 31

Maylea

"I was cold, so cold I could almost feel the blood freezing inside my veins as I walked back home; something weird since it's summer and eighty-six degrees outside.

I've been walking for way too long already and the road didn't seem to end, that stupid hill was killing me. I hope I'm almost there, the houses look all the same and the icy breeze that surrounded me was starting to dye my fingertips a blueish color; God, I just want to get home. I don't understand what the hell is happening, why can't I simply reach my place? It's never been this hard.

The wind was increasing, what at first was a subtle breeze, now was making my hair fly around like crazy. I couldn't feel my hands anymore by that moment and I'm pretty sure that's the fourth time I've seen the blue and white house, which I don't actually remember seeing there before. A strange sensation was starting to overflow me, I felt watched, observed; like I wasn't alone in that endless road. Soon the sound of the wind seemed more like whispers than the typical high-pitched whistle caused by the air flowing in between the branches and the leaves, whispers that I couldn't decipher but were giving me a major sensation of discomfort.

The feeling of being watched was getting worse, to the point I started to see figures, shadows, everywhere: inside the houses, next to the trees that were along the road, next to me, hidden in my periferic vision... The more I saw those things, the more my body stopped responding to my orders, until I couldn't move anymore, I was completely frozen now, paralyzed in the middle of that hill. Suddenly the shadows became sharper, I could see them merge into a single embodiment of what seemed as a person, but it was weird: his body was all crooked, like he couldn't stand in both feet and the movements... Bonechilling. I could most definitely hear his bones cracking as they tried to, somehow, get back in place. The boy that was kind of getting reconstructed in front of me, also seemed to be the one that was whispering, even though it sounded like a lot of voices, and it was driving me crazy not understanding a word he was saying.

I was feeling so much pressure in my chest, it made me hard to breath and, since I didn't feel my body at all, it was like I wasn't able to make the oxigen get to my lungs. I was chocking and wasn't able to do anything to stop it. The horrifying creature I had some feet away from began to drag himself across the pavement in my direction, clumsy and orthopedicly, as if he did not have complete control over his body either. His skin was pale, a non-natural kind of pale, greyish; all his limbs seemed like they've been broken several times and didn't heal properly, like the bone was almost cutting through the flesh; but if his overall presence was already one of the most terrifying things I've seen, I was definitely not ready when I saw him lifting his head up to look at me for the first time.

With zombie-like features, the boy had no eyes but just a hole where those should be, gross, bloody, a massacre on his face, it seemed like someone had ripped his eyes off, yet I felt he was looking directly into my soul. But, oh boy, that was not even the worst part. His smile was. It wasn't the first time I saw that smile and now was carved into his face so it won't go ever away. I saw his mouth moving, again the whispers surrounded me, the difference? Now I did understand what it said:

-I'll be good if you're good.

I tried to run away, to move, get away from him, but I couldn't. The more I listened to those words, the more I knew what was to come. Suddenly, I saw a lot of hands around my body, those where the ones holding me in place as that monster was closer by the seconds. I started crying, feeling the tears rolling down my cheeks sharp as knives cutting through my skin. I couldn't scream or even talk as soon one of those hands was on my mouth, silencing me as they once already did.

-If you're a good girl now, I promise it will be fast.

The whispers continued, driving me back to the worst night of my life, to my continued nightmare. By that moment, I stopped fighting, my destiny was clear and I could not stop that from happening.