Chapter 8 p1

"We sail for the island," Odysseus commanded, "as soon as we meet up with the rest of the fleet."

Polites nodded, and was about to go up and relay the order, when Odysseus grabbed his arm.

"Wait," he said. "Help me to my bunk, please."

Polites did so, supporting Odysseus as if he weighed nothing, until they reached the secluded little spot with the built-in bunk at the very end of the deck. Polites laid Odysseus down on the bed, hesitating just for a moment, before turning to go.

"Polites... what did you dream about on the island?" Odysseus asked before he could leave.

"It doesn't matter, captain," Polites said quietly, "it's not going to come true." A look of such profound sadness crossed his face for barely a moment, before he was smiling again. "Get some rest and recover your strength. I'll watch over everyone."

Then he was gone, and Cassandra was there, standing at the edge of the shadow of the passageway, holding Asterion on her hip.

"He cares about you, you know," she said.

"He's been my closest friend since we were children," Odysseus said, rubbing a hand across his eyes. "We've saved each others' lives more times than I can count. He was never cut out for war, he's always been such a soft soul, but, he's always fought when it mattered."

"It's more specific than that," Cassandra said, "it's you. What he dreamed about on the island—what ultimately saved all three of you—" She sighed and put down Asterion. "You need to thank him." She said. "Asterion was fussing, I think he missed you too." Then Cassandra, too, was gone down the passageway.

Asterion made his way on unsteady legs to the bunk, and, with an effort, Odysseus pulled him up. The boy rested his head on Odysseus' chest as he laid back, and he let the motion of the ship and the sound of the boy's breathing rock him into uneasy sleep.

Odysseus was woken by the sound of stomping feet on the deck directly over his head. Or, was it just the pounding in his head? No... it was definitely feet. Many more than usual. Asterion had curled up by his side, and Odysseus got up carefully not to disturb the child.

Slowly, he made his way down the dark passageway and up the steps to find a crowd of men on deck, and the entire fleet spread before him. There was a lot of shouting, and he heard Cassandra's high voice cry out.

"Stop! We have to proceed with caution! It's dangerous!"

"They're shepherds, how dangerous could it be? We should raid the island and take what we want!"

"What's going on here?" Odysseus called, using his "hear me over a storm" bellow. Everyone froze so abruptly Odysseus did a quick glance to see if Athena had appeared again. Then Eurylochus stepped forward.

"Captain," he began. "The girl has been wrong before, and led us into disaster twice. Why are we still listening to her ravings?"

Odysseus held a hand up to stop him, as Cassandra looked at him with huge eyes that were welling up with suppressed tears.

"Cassandra, tell me about the island you've seen in your visions," he said. The other men—captains of the other ships— gathered around and she seemed to visibly shrink surrounded by so many. When she spoke, her voice shook.

"The island is shaped like a saddle.. high hills on its western and eastern ends, low in the center where it is split by a narrow, but deep ravine. On one end is a beach, perfect for landing ships, and on the other is a field filled with the flock owned by the residents. Over five hundred sheep and rams of incredible size, tended by their guardians, the Cyclops— one eyed men of great size and strength. They are fiercely territorial, and should be approached with great caution. I know we need their supplies to get back to Greece, but if it were up to me, we would keep sailing."

"If we continue onward on half rations my crew will revolt!" One of the other captains protested. "There are some who wish to go back to the island of the Lotus Eaters, at least we were safe and well-fed there."

"We don't even know which direction to sail to get home," another captain said. "What does the prophet say about that?"

Cassandra shrank down even further, her shoulders hunching forward, and the tears began to fall from her eyes. They splashed on the deck silently, and Odysseus watched them fall as if in slow motion.

"We will make for the island," he said finally. "And we will negotiate with these Cyclops for food and drink. We will offer them wine and treasure from what we stole from Hector. With a little foresight, we may be able to head off disaster. We may even be able to determine where our next heading should be."

Grumbles from the crowd, but most of them nodded. Eurylochus snapped orders, and the men returned to their respective ships.