Chapter 27 - Easier?

The silent treatment towards you was finally broken. "I just want to know why. You had everything-" Greg blurts out.

"Everything? I have everything because of what I do," you note monotonously. "Jim and I built this system and our names up ourselves. All those jobs I worked were because of our connections, Lestrade,"

"But in University-" he looks in the rearview mirror. 

"I got in no problem with my grades, but I was already years into the business," you explain, "I've been Jim's friend for much longer than I have with anyone else,"

"The boy," Sherlock found all the pieces falling into place.

"Luckily, it gave a good domino effect," you fiddle with the cuffs, "Jim has been there for me since day one... and what can I say? We make a great duo,"

"This isn't something to boast, Y/n," John scolds, face still burning from fury.

"I think it is," you hum, "we were only kids, but we had the world in the palm of our hands," holding them out, you realise the shackles still on you. "Don't get me wrong, you three were sweet and everything I could ask for from friends,"

"But?" John still couldn't bring himself to face you. "There's a but,"

"But Jim saved my life like I saved his. If anything, he's the closest thing to a brother I could have ever asked for," you lean back and turn to Sherlock, seeing him turned away in thought. "If it means anything, I am sorry for lying, and I am sorry for being the villain of this case. I know it's not what you wanted or expected,"

"No. It really isn't." Greg wasn't always the best at holding back his emotions, so he could start to feel the tears move down his skin, rubbed away by his sleeve.

"I'm still Y/n, just also... Thorn," you see his movements and feel guilt creep up further. "I never faked anything but my innocence,"

"But why?" Greg whispers, holding down his trembling voice.

"Because it's all I know." You couldn't word it any other way. "It's my sinful good deed for the world,"

"Good deed? Y/n, you murdered people!" John finally turns. "They had families! Friends-"

"They exploited, killed and hurt those who not only worked for them but were within their vicinity!" You snap back. "They were monsters."

"So are you." John's words cut like a knife, the car finally stopping, to which Greg quickly took you out in a swift motion.

"You know where to go," he drags you by the loose chain of the handcuffs.

Sherlock got out of the car and watched as you walked in, holding the gun and knife you still had on you. "Sherlock?" John put a hand on his friend's shoulder, "did you need anything?"

"It's funny," he lets out pitiful laughter, "to think all I want to do is turn back time and never go to that club," his eyes directed to the blade, "I wish I never caught her,"

"What? We caught Thorn. We've put a stop to it all," John does a double take.

"No, this isn't what I wanted. This isn't how I wanted it to go," he follows Greg inside soon enough. "I... just need to talk to her alone,"

~~~

Once you were in the cell, your wrists were free, but the weight of the night had finally hit your shoulders, and you slumped back.

Jim would have a plan as he usually does, but all you wished was that Sherlock had never seen your face. Not him. Anyone but him.

Greg refused to look at you any longer, closing the cell and leaving without a word. That silence was deafening and heart-aching as each movement could be heard in the lonesome hall.