•Scene 7•

The assembly room was buzzing with curious, speculative murmurs when the Count of Valorieve barged in with his entourage of knights trailing him.

"Unhand me this instant!" the captive they were leading shouted and struggled against his captors, but it was all in vain, for the knights of Valorieve were firm and unmoving as mountains.

At the shocking sight, the gathered nobles balked and erupted into outrage.

"What is the meaning of this, Count Valorieve?" the Count of Kirale demanded as he slammed his palms against the meeting table. "How dare you parade His Highness in here like a prisoner!"

"At ease, gentlemen, ladies," Count Valorieve raised a pacifying hand into the air, coming to stand at the head of the table teeming with appalled and disconcerted nobility. They could protest his actions all they wanted inside this hall, for he knew that none of them could really stand to offend him beyond those walls.

He waved a hand at the Prince in the knights' captivity when he declared, "His Highness is not here in his capacity as the Crown Prince but as a criminal apprehended by my authority."

"Preposterous!" exclaimed the former count, ever so loyal to his prince. "Cease this nonsense at once!"

"Indeed!" the Prince snarled, "Release me lest you be considered a traitor to the crown!"

Count Valorieve paid their demands no mind and instead directed his attention to the rest of his fellow leaders. "Your Excellencies must surely be startled by this situation. Believe me when I confess, I was too.

"One week ago, Crown Prince Reval the Eleventh of the House of Rowonne was apprehended for burglary within the grounds of Valorieve Palace."

A hush of shock befell the assembly room. Even the Prince bit his tongue. Every count and countess listened dubiously as he continued, "He was witnessed infiltrating the palace with the intent of killing none other than Lady Y/n, my own daughter-in-law, twice Lady of Lurmuse and Valorieve."

"Yes. The Countess and I were there to witness the cruel state of our daughter on that tragic night," Count Lurmuse interjected, angry and distressed. He had been scowling since he caught sight of the Prince at the beginning of the meeting, and now he jabbed an accusing finger his way. "We demand that justice be delivered for this heinous crime!"

"I heartedly echo your sentiment, Count Lurmuse. There must be retribution for such a grave offense," Count Valorieve asserted. His son's in-laws had been alerted of the incident when it occurred, and their assistance had greatly benefitted their investigation. Besides, a family of their influence would surely help his case today.

"Pardon me, Your Excellencies," the Countess of Narin spoke up. She was new to the assembly table, having only recently inherited her late father's title. "Could this conflict not have waited until His Majesty recovered his health and dealt with his heir privately? I see no reason to have us all gathered here."

Her reasoning was valid, and it resulted in a series of agreeing whispers among the attendees. The Prince seemed encouraged by her to argue as well, "Exactly! You must allow me to return to Rowonne and await His Majesty's recovery post-haste."

The Count of Valorieve shook his head in a show of disappointment. "I have gathered you all here for this very reason.

"As we were investigating this incident, we happened upon a terrible truth that I assure you is of utmost interest to all of Your Excellencies," he paused, capturing their attention once more before revealing the secret that could upturn the kingdom in its entirety, "We have discovered that for the duration of the past year, the Crown Prince had conspired to conceal the news of the His Majesty's passing in order to secure his ascension to the throne!"