Chapter Three

"Come on, Victoria, talk to me. I know you called me over here for a reason. And, it wasn't just because you're feeling 'a little boxed in.' Come on, talk to me. It's obvious something's going on." Nikki persisted, unwilling to let this go.
"It's nothing. I'm fine, really." Vicki replied turning back to the window, unable to look her mother in the eyes, afraid she'd put it all together and realize something really was wrong with her. And yet, deep down, part of her wanted somebody to put it together and try to help her. "Who knows, maybe that's the only way I'll ever get out of this mess. Wait a minute, what am I saying? That's the last thing Mom needs right now. If she starts worrying about me, all her plans for the baby will be ruined, or at the very least put on hold. I can't let that happen; I can't!"

"Victoria, what's going on?" Nikki asked, picking up once again on her daughter's strange demeanor.
"Nothing, Mother, I'm sorry I bothered you. Forget about it."
"Sorry, no can do. I want to know what's going on. I'm worried about you."
"Why not? It's simple, just let me get back to work, and you can get on with your day." Vicki countered, trying to get her mother to leave, all the while knowing it wouldn't work.
"Victoria, I'm not going anywhere, so you can stop with the hard sell."