Chapter 2

"All clear." Vi ordered, after taking a peek through the windows to the apartment, signaling for the others to come down from the rooftop.

Mylo followed first, reaching for the handle to the balcony door, grunting in frustration when it didn't budge. "Who locks their balcony?" He reached into his pocket, pulling out an old rusted tool, and began picking at the lock.

Powder was the next to jump down, Clagger assisting her from the surface above the balcony they had all previously been treading on. Vi took her hand to pull her from the railing, before looking at Clagger as he finally made his way down. As soon as he dropped to the balcony, the ground shaking slightly from his weight, he turned to look over the railings at the people wandering around the clean, well kept streets. Almost laughable how different they were to the streets in the undercity. "There's tons of enforcers down there." He mumbled, feeling slightly more pressured to not fuck this heist up, the idea of what could happen to him and his siblings crawling under his skin.

"Means we're in the right place." Vi said, keeping her voice hard and steady. More enforcers means more valuables. "You gonna get that door open any time soon?" She pushed, turning her attention to Mylo.

"Workin on it." He shot back, scrunching up his face. He fidgeted with the tool, turning knobs and screws, to find a way to get this lock picked. "Seeing as I'm the only one who knows how to pick locks, I suggest-" He was interrupted by Vi busting the door open with a swift kick. Mylo shot his head up in shock. As Vi walked through, pushing the door out of the way, Clagger and Powder followed. Clagger shoved his head, mumbling something, while Powder shuffled past, giving him a look. "Animals." He whispered. If they were gonna take the risk of sneaking topside to break into a big fancy apartment, they could at least do it discreetly.

They all looked around the room at the amount of shiny objects, practically begging to be gazed upon, each probably singly worth more than the four of them combined. Powder mouthed 'wow', as Vi contemplated which corner of the room to go to first. Vi dropped the sack, soon to be stuffed to the brim with objects dripping in value, then stammered over to rifle through the bookshelves.

Clagger continued to look around the room in amazement, when Mylo spoke up. "You know, Clagger, for once you're right." He started, brushing his hand across a table covered in piles and piles of, what looked like, drawn out plans and ideas. "We are definitely not supposed to be here." He couldn't help the smile that began to plaster across his face as he said that. He rubbed his hands in excitement as he peered over the objects on the table, before scooping up two random gadgets. He looked them over, not particularly sure what they were, but proceeded to shrug it off and plop them in the sack anyway. Rich people shit was rich people shit. It didn't matter what it was. If it looked expensive, it was going in that sack.

The others began following this and searching for more items to fill the sack. Clagger peaked inside a small chest, and messily dumped the objects into the small bag. Meanwhile, Powder looked past some old rusting books, spotting a small bronze horse statue, and tossed it inside as well. Vi, fidgeting with a random gadget in her hand, looked across the large chalkboard on the wall. "Must be an inventor." She won't lie to herself, the idea did cross her mind to smudge up the scribbles and numbers plastered all over the board, to which she didn't understand a bit of, but, eh, that was just cruel. It's not like she'd get any money out of that.

Powder hummed in response, getting more and more intrigued with the place and items filling it. An investor? Maybe she could sneak some of the goods for herself, something here's gotta help getting Mouser working. She trailed across the bookshelves, searching for something worth picking up, when she spotted what looked like- "whoa, I think this is a real Valdiani." Powder silently squealed. She picked up the shiny piece of wonder, studying it from every angle. She pressed her fingers against the top and watched in wonder as it split into fours as it opened, revealing a golden orb, surrounded by moving rings spinning around it in different directions. Mylo's irritating voice broke her out of her trance.