The Bite

After swiping both a keycard and car-keys from an unconscious guard, you all escape the room that held Robin and Steve.

You stumble behind, unable to stop the world from incessantly spinning after being jabbed with that needle by the Russian doctor.

The drug hits hard and fast. First, you get dizzy - it washes over you like a tidal wave until you're drowning in your high. Next, unrestrained giggling.

Squashed inside some miniature car, driven by Dustin, three of you rattle around in the back. The three of you that were drugged, at least; Erica takes shotgun.

"Jesus, slow down!" Steve grunts, slamming into you both.

"Yeah, what is this, like, the Indy 500?" Robin is overcome by her own uncontrollable giggles.

"It's the Indy 300." Steve offers.

"No, dingus, it's 500!" Robin corrects.

"Let's say a million!" You blurt, causing you all to erupt into another bout of wild laughter.

Then, as if truly noticing you for the first time since her rescue, Robin's eyes snap open and her mouth drops ajar; she gasps before roughly taking your shoulders into both her hands.

"Y/N!" She breathes. "You were right! You were right all along! Monsters... they exist! Steve explained everything to me!"

"Holy shit, right? How freaking crazy is that?!"

"It's totally batshit bonkers!" You feel her shake you a little as she talks, her eyes wide, and... is that a hint of sadness swirling in the irises? "Now, I get it. I get why you could never tell me."

Your voice rises with emotion, almost sobbing at the fact that Robin knows. And she doesn't just know... she understands.

"It's not just monsters either. There's a whole worrrrld of shit you don't know," You cup her cheek with a blood-smeared hand. "Robin, it's been so awful not being able to tell you."

The girl shuts her eyes and holds your hand against her face, the words she slurs not tumbling from her lips fast enough.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I yelled at you last year. I'm sorry I tried to get you to tell me."

"No," You cry. "I'm sorry for keeping everything from you. Things have been so weird between us."

"So weird!"

"I hated it."

"Me, too!"

"I love you, Rob."

"I love you!"

You grip each other so tight it's as if you were trying to climb into each other's skin. Tears sting your eyes, the feeling heightened by your drunken state - the feeling of relief.

You're relieved that it's finally over, keeping Robin in the dark, and the catharsis is unlike anything you've ever felt before. After years of guilt-ridden secrecy, you're lighter than air.

There, you just hold one another for a moment, babbling incoherent I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorries over and over in unison until Dustin crashes the car again.