15

Cadence

I silently watched my best friend let a deep breath go and looked up at the dark sky. Dary and Travis have been talking heavy lately, but since Monkey Joe's.....I see a bigger distance that Dary tries to put between her and Trav. But she's also starting to very slowly crack with him.....and it's scaring her. I know it is, cuz Dary is scared that situations that happened with Craig.....could maybe turn out the same way with Trav. Deep down though.....

I know it's not.....

"Fuck....!" Dary hissed and dropped her head in frustration, her back still to me.

I immediately saw that look in her eyes when Travis obviously asked Dary something. I dunno what it was that he asked, but I can tell it brought back bad memories again to her. I looked back when the music got loud and saw Garrett come out to stand against the door to watch us. I smiled at him and he nodded at me, I know bae and his brother asked him to come out here. Garrett's cousin, Titus was with aunty, Eli and bae's dad at the house.

 Garrett's cousin, Titus was with aunty, Eli and bae's dad at the house

Garrett (G)

"Talk to me, sis....." I said quietly, looking back at her. Dary let a breath go again and stared ahead, then back at me.

"The fuck is wrong with me.....?" The tears that she was fighting, filled her eyes. I saw my best friend from middle school.....I saw Dary from senior year....

The hurt and scared 13 year old.....the angry and betrayed 18 year old.....

"Nothing is wrong with you, sis....." I whispered, Dary broke down and started crying, just like she did when she ran away from the foster home for the last time. I pulled her in for a tight hug like I did then and Dary wrapped her arms around me....

"Yeah it is.....! I know he's not like them.....why can't I just shake it off!?" She cried in my neck and I rubbed her back.

I may not have ever been in the situations Dary has been through in foster care or before when she was living with her biological parents, but I've seen the bullying she's faced. She's told me about the tragedies she's been through in the system and before....I've faced the bullshit Craig put her through senior year. I've seen the lows that my best friend has personally faced with all of that.....and.....

It is hard for her to shake it off, but it don't mean she can't......

"Hey.....remember....? No one can tell you how and when you should face your struggles, but me and aunty always got you no matter what...." She nodded in my neck. "You also know that you shouldn't put everyone in the same category as them, even when a person shows you that they aren't the same....." I whispered in her ear, still hugging my best friend.....Dary knew that I meant Travis specially.