Chapter VII: A New Friendship

" Morgan", A soft voice whispers. I open my eyes. Anna stands over me, wearing an elegant orange dress. " You need to get up, we have lunch", Anna informs me.

I roll back over and close my eyes, Anna rips the blanket off me. I cover myself up, Anna giggles and throws me back the blanket. I wrap myself up and chuckle.

----------------------

I tie my sword to my waist, today I am wearing an orange coat, pants and shoes. Anna places my crown onto my head.

" You look incredible Anna", I say as we walk out of the room and down the hall. " You look great too M", Anna says while smiling.

We walk into the dining hall.
" Morgan and Anna, please sit", Arthur says as he stands up. Anna and I sit in our chairs.

" Sorry for being late. I overslept", I say as servants place plates on the table. " It's okay, we actually wanted you to lead the meeting", Wilhelm says after taking a bite.

" Sure", I say, I grab the notes from my plate. " First, The ball is tomorrow, so bring your best. Second, we have another meeting with the people. Third, Alliances", I say firmly as the others eat.

" Before our fathers passed away we were all aligned with each other. Do we want that to continue?", I ask.

Everyone except for Charles nods. " In which way are we aligned?", Charles asks. " We help each other out militarily and economically, if one of us is attacked, we support each other", I inform Charles.

" I just don't know if that is in France's interests", Charles says firmly. " Between all of us Charles we have 20,000 men. I think we all want to help each other's interests", I say after taking a bite.

" I can be in the alliance", Charles says as he bows his head. " Good, that's best for all. I think you all know I was injured last year in the failed Munster Invasion of Wales. I have a plan", I say as everyone looks my way.

" What is it?", Arthur asks. " I'm not the violent type, but I think we should divide Ireland between the three of us", I inform everyone.

I take a sip of my wine as everyone stares at me. " They nearly burned down my kingdom. We need to strike back hard", I say firmly.

" They have raided my southern coast", Malcolm says. " And they held the Duke of Lancaster for ransom", Arthur adds.

" Next year then, we'll fight", I say adjusting my hair. " I forgot to tell you Morgan. Pope Louis will be here soon, he was on a trip in Canterbury and wanted to stop by", Arthur informs me.

I haven't met the new Pope, Pope Clement died last month and the clergy only just decided on the new Pope.

" We have that meeting with the commoners soon", Wilhelm says as he stands up and pushes in his chair.

" Let's go", I say as the others and I get up and walk outside. A huge crowd of commoners stand in front of us, cheering, roaring.

" Hello people, please line up. You will have time to meet all of us", I scream joyously. Everyone lines up.

" Hello sir", I say as Anna and I shake the man's hand. " A gift from a friend", The man whispers in my ear.

His breath shakes against my ear, before I can react the man slashes my chest and runs. " Help!", Anna screams and terror.

I fall backwards, my head slams into the dirt. The world goes black. " Morgan, please", Anna says crying. " Love you", I manage to mumble out.

--------------------

" He's awake", A man screams. " Your Royal Majesty, are you okay", another man asks. I open my eyes to see Wilhelm, Anna and a physician standing over me.

" What happened?", I ask. " You were slashed by a peasant. Luckily your shirt was thick enough, you narrowly survived", the physician informs me.

I sit up in bed. " Where is this peasant?", I ask firmly. " In this jail down the hall", the physician answers. I have to speak to this peasant.

-------------------

I have gotten dressed already, I have to speak to this man. I open the door, the peasant sits in a chair with his hands bound. " Leave", I tell the guard and Anna.

I shut the door. " The King lives", the peasant says with a laugh. I kick the man over, the chair thuds. " Who sent you?", I scream as I hold my boots to the man's throat.

" No one boy", the peasant squeals out. I take my boot off the man's throat and draw my sword from my waist. " Who?", I scream. The peasant laughs, " No one".

I slam my sword down into the man's foot, he screams in pain. I twist my sword, the man screaming ever louder.

" Harold, Duke of Gloucester", The peasant says in tears. I rip my sword out of the man's foot, " It was that easy", I say as I strap the sword back onto my waist.

I walk out of the room. Arthur runs towards me. " Are you okay", Arthur asks. " Yes. Harold, Duke of Gloucester, tried to kill me", I inform Arthur.

" My lord", Arthur says pacing back and forth. " You must be King Morgan of Wales", A man says as he walks down the hall.

" Who are you?", I ask. " Pope Louis", Louis says. I get down my one knee. " It is a blessing to meet you sir", I say after kissing Louis' hand.

I stand up. " Have you found out who tried to kill you?", Louis asks. " Yes. Harold, Duke of Gloucester", I inform Louis. " I'll work on it, consider me a friend", Louis says as he walks off.

Hopefully Harold loses his head.