Chapter 22

Meanwhile all the way back in San Francisco, Octavia had been expecting a call or email from her father but he hadn't responded since the day he left for his trip which was very unlike him. After three days of waiting, she finally tried to call him herself but he didn't answer. Same applied when she texted him and sent him email. No response. 

"I'm really getting worried Fran." She told her boyfriend. "Dad has never gone this long without calling me."

"Well don't jump to any conclusions." He said. "You said he was going to an island right? Maybe there's no service there. Did he mention if he would even be able to call or text or email while he was down there?"

"No."

"Then that's probably all it is. You're old man is probably safe but can't find a signal to call you with."

"I guess but still I've got a bad feeling that something's wrong."

"Like what?"

"I don't know. It's just a feeling. An instinct. You ever get one of those?"

"All the time in gym class, when I have to change in the locker rooms with those steroid-addicted neanderthals. I swear to you Via, they can smell fear."

"Fran that's not the kind of instinct I had in mind. I meant like the time when I was a kid and I would hide whenever my uncle would visit, and my dad later found out that he molested my mother when she was a child."

"Oh...You really think it could be something like that?"

"I don't know, but I do know that feeling isn't going to go away until I get some answers."

"I think you might be worrying for nothing Via. I mean you did say that he's been down there before and he came back alright last time."

"Yes but last time he went, his old boss died on that island and three people went missing. They were never found."

"Really? You didn't tell me that part."

"I didn't think it mattered until now."

"Not insult your dad's intelligence, but why would he go back to island where a guy died and three people disappeared? Kind of risky, don't you think?"

"Don't ask me how my Dad's brain works because Fran because I'll never know."

"Have you tried calling your mom?"

"Mom wouldn't know anything about it. She barely ever gave Dad a second thought, even when they were married."

"What about his work? Maybe they know something."

"You know that's actually a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it before."

She picked up her phone and dialed the number for Stolas's work place.

"Hello, my name is Octavia Goetia, I am Professor Goetia's daughter. My father went on a trip three days ago and I haven't heard from him since. I was wondering if there was someway you could let me know if he's alright."

The secretary who answered the call asked Octavia to wait a moment and then relayed the information to an advanced member of the company and put him on the line.

"You have nothing to worry about Miss Goetia." He told her. "Your father is having a safe and comfortable stay at the Antsanitia Resort while he's doing his studies."

"Resort?" Octavia responded in confusion. "How can there be a resort over there? It's an uncharted island."

"With all due respect Miss Goetia, I believe you are mistaken. Madagascar is a small area of land but by no means uncharted. There are almost ten successful resorts set up down there."