𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘇𝗶𝗻𝗴

TWO
"You go ahead and keep telling yourself that."

Khadeja left Poppy's house very early that morning to go for a walk and catch up with Summer before her heat

Khadeja left Poppy's house very early that morning to go for a walk and catch up with Summer before her heat. If Khadeja was entirely honest, she didn't care much about surfing. She was only doing it for two reasons, and those reasons are what kept her going and keep her competing in competitions. Khadeja was also happy that summer was there. The two had been wandering about for a while, talking about things they had missed in the past few years.

"You set a skateboard on fire and rode it off a driving board into a pool?" Deja questioned, her mouth agape at what Summer had told her.

"Yep." Summer mumbled, nodding. "It was really cool, dude." I wish you could have been there to see it. I've really missed you, you know." She poked Deja as she turned her head to look at her.

"I've missed you, too." Deja murmured as she turned her head to look at Summer and smiled. "I'm sorry for not telling you that I was leaving." Deja came to a stop and took a long breath to prepare herself for what she was about to say. "My dad died, and my mom didn't want any of us leaving the house." Deja stared to the ground as tears welled up in her eyes, which she immediately wiped away before they fell.

"Hey." Summer mumbled, causing Deja to raise her head. She swiftly engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug. "I'm sorry that I couldn't be there for you."

Deja sniffed. "You don't have to apologize, Summer." You had no idea."

"I know, but you're still my best friend." She replied, taking her face out of the crook of Deja's neck to look at her. "And best friends always have each other's backs no matter what." She offered Deja a little smile.

Deja returned the smile and brushed her tears away. "I'm so glad you're here."

"I'm glad I'm here too." Summer responded as they started their walk. Summer popped the question after a few minutes of silence. "So, what's the deal with you and that girl?" "I saw you two getting away from the party last night," she teased, poking Deja on her arm.

"Who? me and pops? Deja turned her head quickly to look at summer. "Yeah, no we're just friends." She clarified as she looked down.

"Sureee," Summer chuckled, drawing out the word.

"What?" She looked at Summer, confused by what was going on. "I'm serious. Poppy and I are just friends."

"Pft." Summer sounded, her lips pressed together, not believing Khadeja. "Yeah, and friends wear each other's initials around their neck." She said sarcastically, grabbing the necklace. Khadeja smacked Summer's hand away, causing Summer to chuckle. "See, you won't even let me touch it."

Deja shifted her gaze away from Summer and exhaled. "Okay... so I may like poppy in more than just a friend way." Deja admitted, making eye contact with summer.