Strength in Numbers: Part 2

To Jurian Cornelissen Esq.,

If we understand correctly, you argue that the main reason for people to seek out a spiritual pact is out of desperation. Desperation such as that born out of poverty, in your own example. We hope you understand that fighting poverty is always one of our main priorities, whether warlockry be a factor or not. This is, however, a complex and nuanced issue.

But let us return to the issue at hand; warlockry. We need to decide whether to enshrine the legality of these practices in law, and if so what form these legislations will take. Or whether to illegalise the practice altogether. For that, we need to understand the process through which these pacts are made. You have explained the 'why' quite aptly. But that just leaves us with the 'how'.

We understand that this probably differs from person to person, or patron to patron. So let us stick with the same example you used last time. How did your client ever even hear of this Ghalaunach, much less learn to contact the spirit?

As always, thank you for your time and effort.

In honoured service,

Annemiek Smalbrugge

----

To the esteemed Councilwoman Annemiek Smalbrugge,

Of course I appreciate the nuance that comes with your station. I hope you do not consider my last response to be a critique on your judgment. I promise, if there is anything I have to say, I will be clear. In regards to your current question, however; that is exactly what I asked my client when she returned to my office. It was clear to me that she wasn't affiliated with any mage clan, considering the conditions she lived in. So then where had she learned to contact an entity from beyond our plane?

Apparently the first time she had heard the name of her patron at all was between the hallowed walls of one of our Crown Temples. The only sound inside was the droning voice of the vicar, resounding off the ancient stone to embrace the flock from every direction. And whenever he paused for emphasis, there was the beating of the hearts of a thousand faithful. He spoke of the trials of Saint Queen Rosaria. His ancestor, whose flesh and blood he'd share, had She not left those things behind in apotheosis. Specifically, he spoke of Her voyage to the deserts of the old continent. Now, I am no theologist, but my mother has dragged me to plenty of sermons in my youth, saying I should try to fit in with the culture that we live in. The way I remember this story is that Saint Rosaria visited the cradle of humanity to connect to Her people's origins. To better understand them when She'd return to lead them. But here, She encountered the rebellious spirit of Greed, who tried to tempt Her into forsaking Her duties. But, lacking any selfish desire, She rebuked the spirit, and returned ready to ascend.
I share this version of the tale because it contrasts wildly with what my client says she heard that day. I know your council includes another member of the clergy, and I would not want them to think I uncritically accept what may be heretical. If possible, I would love for them to explain any discrepancies between the tale as I have heard it in my youth, and as I am about to tell it now.

"Avarice is a mirror", the vicar told my client. "It reflects only what we bring to it. And in so doing, it becomes a teacher. It shows us what motivates us. What we want, and why. It is not right to ignore a teacher, nor wise to dismiss an opportunity for reflection. But as with any mirror, it is dangerous to let yourself be consumed by it. Observe it. Drink in the sight, and internalise it. Embrace your desire but reject your vanity."
To hear Laperrinei tell it, that is the lesson our Queen learned there. She did not transcend Her desires. She acknowledged them and internalised them. "The spirit did not tempt Her. It only laid Her temptations bare, so She could realise what She wanted most. Her humility desired a simple, quiet life. Her sense of duty wanted to protect and guide Her people. But She knew She could not do both. So, one had to be given up. A trade had to be made."
To my ears, that description sounded far more enlightened than the blatantly covetous thing I spoke with yesterday. And yet, it answered to the same name. I do not remember any rebellious spirit's name ever being spoken. I was told that to do so was to invite their attention. But the vicar must have felt very secure in the impervious sanctity of his temple's walls, for he spoke it then and there. Though despite his earlier praise, he spoke it in warning; "So go and feel your desires. Hold them, and recognise them. Trust your soul when it tells you what it wants, but trust not someone who decides that for you. Remember that Ghalaunach thrives not on your fulfilment, but your want. And it has ways of making you want things you never dared to consider. For all the riches it may give you, it will never allow you to be satisfied. Such is the danger of wealth not earned."