04 ▬▬▬▬▬▬ chaotic home

chapter O4 ██████████ ☄. *. ⋆ chaotic home

❝ Try not to abuse your power, I know we didn't choose to change. ❞

━━ Billie Eilish

IN THAT ONE SLIGHT MOTION, I SEE THE END OF HOPE, THE BEGINNING OF DESTRUCTION OF EVERYTHING I HOLD DEAR IN THE WORLD. I CAN'T GUESS WHAT  form my punishment will take, how wide the net will be cast, but when it is finished, there will most likely be nothing left. So you would think that at this moment, I would be in utter despair. Here's what's strange. The main thing I feel is a sense of relief. That I can give up this game. That the question of whether I can succeed in this venture has been answered, even if that answer is a resounding no. That if desperate times call for desperate measures, then I am free to act as desperately as I wish.

Instead of forcing for my lips to quirk up, I find myself genuinely smiling, squeezing Cato's shoulder. He shoots me a curious glance, and, at the sight of my grin, probably believes our plan was a success. Truth is, I feel free now, less under Snow's manipulating gaze.

"Effie said we have to be back on the train at one. I wonder what time it is." he sighs as the announcement comes to an end and people begin spreading around again. Yet, his sentence causes for me to halt in my steps, mouth slightly widening at his words.

"What do you mean? My train is going back to Twelve." I narrow my eyebrows, certain he was planning on going back to Two.

"You didn't actually think you could get rid of me that quickly?" he asks, with a hint of irony, and I stumble backwards.

"You mean you're actually coming with me? To my home?" I echo, still incredulous. I keep wishing he could have made that decision weeks ago, when we were standing in front of a train.

"Yeah, figured it'd be better. I'm your soon to be husband, am I not?" he replies, a confident smirk lining his features, as usual.

"You do know what's waiting for you there, right? Poverty, starving children, dirty streets. I think it's quite different from Two." I whisper, but, for some reason, the news makes my heart swell in something other than worry.