1 - Awakening

The three men stood in front of her seat with determined eyes.

Aneath felt her glasses slip down the bridge of her nose. Her usual friendly smile twitched as she rubbed the inner corners of her eyes, setting down the worn paper onto the desk.

"How did you find me here?" She laughed lightheartedly, brushing her fiery red hair back as she pushed herself away from the table and walked towards the rune on the wall. The small, one-person bedroom was hidden away in a far corner of the capital. Aneath had been staying in that cramped room for a little longer than a month, without so much as a word of her leave. She picked up the glowing pen, infused with mana, and continued drawing the intricacies of the rune.

"Rion, I didn't even tell you where I was going this time." Aneath smiled, though her bright eyes were not straying from the delicate writing on the magic circle. "I've only been gone for a bit. You all knew I wasn't in danger." Though Aneath's face remained unchanged from her usual silly, warm-tempered expression, her words were beginning to show her impatience and boredom.

"Why are you still pestering me? Get out."

Aneath waved her hand and created a barrier around herself. Lorren ran towards her, thinking that he could hug her after five weeks without a word from her, but he only collided with the slightly opaque barrier. He fell to the floor, grumbling something about being worried or whatnot, unharmed.

Aneath grunted and stood from her chair, reaching up to fill out the line on the very top of the rune. Aldric extended his hand forward, creating a pedestal of ice for her to stand on. Aneath smiled, in contrast to her waning patience, while stepping up reluctantly.

"You know, compared to the stupidity I see standing in this room, my ex seems like a genius now." She snickered. "Maybe I should give him a call and get back with him."

Aneath's strange terminology remained ignored by the three men. They had long gotten used to her odd references and simply brushed it off, focusing Aldric's icy eyes flickered with a faint glint when she spoke, and his stoic face contorted into a slight scowl. "You dated someone?"

"Yeah, so what? I'm twenty-three already, do you expect the brilliance that is me to be able to stay single for that long?" Aneath rolled her eyes and continued scribbling on the rune. The glow of the rune grew brighter as she continued to write. "Anyway, what does it have to do with you?"

Rionel's frivolous character had shown as he leaned against the wall and winked. "You know, Aneath, I could be your new boyfriend."

"Ah, always the joker, aren't you?" Aneath laughed and reached out of the barrier, slapping him on the back.

Her casual disregard of his proposals was a common occurrence, but still felt like a stab in the back. Rionel's face grew dark, but he managed to crack a frivolous smile and play along. "Yeah."

She let out another chuckle and moved her arm back into the barrier. The thin, slightly opaque film of a barrier closed once her last finger withdrew. Her diplomatic smile turned to a foolish grin, and her impatience finally superseding her indifference.

"Now, all of you, leave. I don't like your company." Aneath turned her head and sat back into the chair, leaning back and crossing her legs halfhazardly. She sighed, intentionally ignoring the twitching smile and veins popping on all three of their foreheads. What did I do to get myself in this mess?

----

Five years earlier...

Aneath's eyes snapped open. She gasped and shot up from the bed, her eyes flitting around the room. Where am I? She thought. The previously faded gray wallpaper was now a vibrant white and gold marble. The small, twin-sized bed had transformed into a king-sized canopy bed with white silk sheets.

Two knocks sounded from the doorway. Aneath gulped and habitually calmed her breathing, her gaze swinging towards the small entranceway in the far corner of the room. "Come in," she said.

The door creaked open, and three maids carrying various things scurried into the room with their heads bowed. One of them hurried to the bath, and a sound of water splashing on stone was heard. The other two ushered Aneath to the vanity, sitting her down. They started to brush her waist-length hair in practiced, gentle motions, detangling the thick knots in her hair with pliant fingers. Aneath felt the unfamiliar sensations on her scalp, her frenzied panic silently growing.

"Young Miss, please lift your head." One of the women said. Aneath pushed down her internal discomfort and reluctantly lifted her head and her eyes immediately fixed onto the unfamiliar girl in the mirror.

Her eyes dilated as she paled.Who is that? Where am I? Why am I a redhead? Why are my eyes like that? Her mind raced with questions as she silently observed the mirror's reflection.

The girl in the glass had vibrant, fiery red hair. Her silver eyes were like jewels, shining in the morning light, fragments of sun bouncing off the clear facets. She seemed to be in her mid teens, fifteen or sixteen. Aneath breathed a heavy sigh, her temples throbbing as a budding headache came.

"Where am I?" She turned to the two attendants with a scowl, her tone pointed and sharp. She rubbed her temple as she observed their reactions.

The two women paled, their confusion evident. "Young Miss? What are you-"

"What have you done to me?" Aneath interrupted through gritted teeth. Her upturned eyes gleamed with a dangerous light as she stood, the chair screeching back on the floor.

----

After the three servants had scurried out of the room under her thorny order, Aneath walked into the bathroom, turning towards her reflection with blank eyes.

"What happened?" She murmured under her breath, her soft, unfamiliar fingers stroking her cheeks. Can... I still use magic? She thought, extending her hands out and rubbing her thumb against her forefinger, pushing the intangible energy up. A small blue flame jumped up from the tips of her fingers, a warm and comforting sight. Aneath's heart calmed, her eyes softening as she caressed the fire. Thank god. She breathed a sigh of relief.

But it seems... that this body's mana pool is smaller than mine. She mused. It will need time to mature before I can cast eleven, twelve tier spells again. She tamped down the blue flame rocking gently in her hand and ambled to the bedroom.

She slumped onto the cushioned chair, her expression hardening as she began inspecting her surroundings. Two hours ago, she was standing on the cement pavement of main street, walking to her apartment with a bag full of caffeine and loose research papers. The final of the mana extension class was the day after, and she was scurrying back to her apartment to study.

I need to know my situation. Her expression hardened as she began inspecting her surroundings. I shouldn't feel relieved. Her eyes flitted around, taking notice of the exorbitant marble floors and luxurious, large space. Her mind started to race as she took a deep breath. The more she thought, the worse her speculations became. Her heart, which was pounding out of her chest just a moment ago, seemed to halt as she held in her panicked breath.

Have I transmigrated?