4 - Water Capture Target

In the mansion of the Institution of Water...

Aldric's long fingers glided over the rail of the clear marble staircase as he descended, his jeweled aqua eyes distant yet shining with the promise of youth. His long, silky white hair was tied into a low ponytail, flowing gently behind him in waves. A lull of apathy was seen on his frigid expression. The air around him seemed to freeze as he ambled through the main hallways of the Water Manor. Droves of maids seemed to "accidentally" show up wherever he went, standing on the sides of the corridors with passionate giggles.

Aldric's steps paused when he reached the far end of the corridor. The two doors loomed in front of him, their opaque yet flowing aqua blue designs grand. His eyes drooped inexplicably as he looked down at his hands, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. A wisp of lightning blue mana escaped from his outstretched palm before he let out a collected sigh and turned his gaze back up.

Aldric held his fist up in front of the door before knocking twice, the sound resounding through the hallway. Four seconds of deafening silence ensued, with the quiet clacks of a maid's heels in the adjoining hallway cutting the silence. Then, a tendril of coral blue mana snaked out from the cracks of the door, grasping the handle and pulling the doors open.

A middle-aged woman sat on the working desk, her fine wrinkles creasing as she smiled warmly at Aldric standing unobtrusively in the doorway. She retracted her extended hand, and with that, the magic retreated back into her body, quickly disappearing from sight. "Well, what are you waiting for? Come in," she said.

Aldric had taken after the old woman's jeweled aqua eyes, however, unlike his, hers seemed to gleam with a warm yet shrewd light. His deadpan eyes swept the room before he took a few blithe steps forward. "Mother, why did you summon me?" His hands, gently held behind his back, tightened as he spoke.

The woman twirled the thick fountain pen around her fingers, her eyes following the hypnotic movements of the tip of the pen. Her smirk grew, ever-so-slightly, when she heard his somewhat stiff words. She stretched her left forefinger forward and a thin thread of blue mana escaped, wrapping itself around a small envelope and gliding to Aldric. He brushed open the thick wax seal, slowly unfurling the letter inside and examining its contents.

"The girl of the Institution of Fire," the woman said, her heel starting to tap impatiently on the cold floor, "Apparently, that inept, helpless girl had suddenly turned into a prodigy in just three weeks. We verified it with our little birdwatcher, too."

Aldric's face grew stiff. He worked his jaw as he read further down, his eyes freezing on one phrase. His head snapped up as he looked at his mother for confirmation. "She cast a tier eight spell?"

The Lady scoffed, the wrinkles on her face became more pronounced as she furrowed her thin, sharp eyebrows. "It's not 'she cast'. She can readily cast tier eight spells. She does it for practice, I heard. Some rumors say it's higher, though. Tier ten." She bit the end of the last sentence, her scowl tinged with bitter animosity.

"How is that possible..." Aldric trailed off.

"Good question," the old woman smiled, a charming and elegant smile, perhaps fitting her next words. "Which is why we've sent an invite to the Fire Manor."

"You'll be hosting her for a gathering," she stared at Aldric right in the eye. "During that time, you will find out how that can be possible."

She stood, her chair rolling back and hitting the floor-to-ceiling window panes behind her. Her gaze turned especially sharp, in contrast to her next words. "Befriend the girl," she said.

Adric made an almost indiscernible frown. He recalled the red-haired girl's appearance. Crystal clear jeweled eyes, showing the purity of her blood. Her fiery red hair flowed in cascading locks down her back, curving elegantly around her waist. The slightly upturned lips that reminded him of the shrewd Cheshire cat as she greeted him for the first time. Aneath, was her name. His scowl deepened. Yes, that's right, that girl.