012 Heavy Heart

Twelve, Heavy Heart.

      The prison was cold

      The prison was cold. Awkwardly silent. They were missing a third of their group, Lori, Carol and T-Dog. Rick was. . . off in his own mind. The infant, who still didn't have a name, rested in Adeline's arms, suckling on the bottle of formula she fed her.

      Everyone was fawning over the newborn, no one had taken their eyes off of her. Afraid that if they were to allow themselves a moment to think, their minds would drift to the wrong place— reality.

      "Everyone okay?" Rick questioned as he pulled open the squeaky metal gate, allowing him inside the cell block, taking everyone in, mainly focusing on Carl who sat at Adeline's side, staring at his bowl of expired and dry cereal, a solemn look on his face. Rick borderline refused to acknowledge the presence of both Adeline— feeling terrible after yesterday's incident— and the baby, he wasn't ready to accept her yet.

      Rick approached Carl's side, where he sat beside Lola on the steel stools, placing a hand on the back of his head. He looked cleaner than when Adeline had seen him yesterday, he had a cleaner outfit and was rid of the blood that once stained him.

      "Yeah, we are," Maggie answered for the lot of them, placing down her bowl and giving her full attention to the man.

"What about you?"
"I cleared out the boiler block."
"How many were there?"
"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen."

Rick and Daryl exchanged a look, and then the man turned to his son, packing the back of his head gently. "I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl."

Glenn pipes up from where he sits beside Maggie, "Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to."

"No, I do." He proclaimed, turning away from Glenn and facing Daryl quizzing him on the safety of the group and the amount of ammo. Rick didn't bother looking at anyone else, just nodding as Maggie told him of the run she and Glenn were planning to go on— in courtesy of the baby who needed more diapers, bottles, etc. He agreed and left the cell block, back through the squeaky gate he had just emerged from a few minutes ago, leaving everyone worried about his stability.

Beth had generously offered to hold the infant whilst Adeline got herself cleaned up.

As the brunette sat in her cell, beside Maggie she contemplated. "I should go. For Lori." Adeline suggested, wanting to do everything in her power to look after and care for the newborn, she felt awful for the way the small girl had come into the world, all she wanted was to make Lori proud and make up for what she had done.

"Are you sure?" Maggie's green orbs met Adeline's blue ones, "You don't have to, after everything. . ."

"No, I want to. I'll ask Mikael along."