Chapter 1

LENCE

"Thanks," I let out and I'm out of the tobacco in a second. After hearing the door closing, I quickly grab a cigarette, my lighter and make my way to the train station.

How dumb I am to have taken an apartment so far from the train. It is at least forty minutes from college. I went for a very affordable one, so I should have taken something more accessible.

I hop inside the subway, already full of people. I struggle to find room for me to hang on.

I wonder if the roommate is already at home.

I moved in two days ago. She's supposed to move in today or tomorrow, she sent me a text the other day saying it'll depends on if her father can drive her here.

Some people shouting at each other bring me out of my thoughts, and I gladly follow the story. I hope I won't be bored. I shoudn't, with college I'll have a lot of work. And I'll make friends.

After twenty minutes of suffocating, I finally exit the subway and begin the ten minutes walk to the flat. I pass by a tobacco, I think it is the only one in the neighbourhood. I would have came here if I wouldn't have wanted to buy books. I found three. I already have an unbelievable amount at home but this is just addicting.

Home.

That feels comforting. I have my home now. Well, there is the roommate, but it's still mine. No parents. No routine that I can't stand.

I feel the strap of my bag being way too heavy and when I turn around my heart skips a beat, I catch a guy right in front of me, hands on my bag, starting to pull it up over my shoulder. I grab it too, trying to keep it on me as long as I can. He's wearing a mask. I let go for a second and my fist meets his face. He backs off, eyes widely opened, staring at me in ashtonishment.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" I yell. My heart is racing. "You-"

I freeze, staring at the knife he just drew out of his vest. "Give me your fucking bag."

"The fuck-I won't-"

He suddenly steps in closer, making my heart halt.

"I HAVE NOTHING ON ME!" I don't dare to move. "I only have books and cigarettes!"

"Give it!"

My books.

Come on Lence, think straight. I'm being fucking robbed.

"It's romance." I mumble with all the strength I managed to gather. Maybe that will dissuade him. Keep it calm. I open the bag for him to see, my hands are obviously shaking. I rapidly glance at him, noticing his young looks.

His hand reaches my bag, aiming for the pack of Marlboro. I quickly pull away.

"I fucking paid for them!? You ain't gonna take it!"

He can stab me as many times as he likes he won't have them. I'll eat them before dying if I have to.

"Fucking bitch-" He suddenly pushes me, making me loose balance and when I glance up, the street is empty. Lit by the sunset.

My heart is beating way too fast. Where did he go? I check my bag in a rush, and nothing's gone.

What the fuck? I've never been robbed in my entire life but this is surely not how it's supposed to happen? Did this guy just give up? My head is hurting.

At least I have my cigarrettes.

────────────

I reach the bottom of the building, and passes the bagde allowing me to open the entrance door. I then reach the third floor, try to force the keys inside the keywhole but it just won't slide it. So I pull on the handle.