Chapter 13

"Whoa. What is this place?" Reuben asks as the three swim towards a large light of white, blue and purple with many mini ones as well.

"The Well of Seas. The source of all the ocean's energy. That's where your mother hid the Trident of Oceanus," Arista stated.

"She did? How did you know that?" Reuben asked as he noticed Arista staring sadly at it.

"Because she took it from my father, the mermaid king, and hid it in there. My father, and, Arista's mom, died trying to get it back," Caspian said as he placed a comforting hand on Arista.

"I am so sorry," Reuben said.

"It's not your fault, Reuben. They were enemies," Arista said, finally looking at Reuben with sad eyes but a bright smile.

"So how are we supposed to get it?" Reuben asks finally.

"Each current has its own force, its own power. You have to swim through all of the currents to get to the centre where the Trident is hidden. Only a giant kraken can survive it," Caspian explains.

"It has to be you, Reuben," Arista said.

Reuben gives a look of uncertainty as he rubs his neck in nervousness. 

"Okay. It's just an underwater volcano of death. So, step one: Evaluate the problem," he says looking around.

He looks down and sees a broken ship and gets an idea. Reuben lifts the ship up, earning an impressed and awe struck look from Arista, as he throws the ship at one of the currents. It flows through the current and bounces around a lot, until it eventually is throw out of the current returning as a destroyed ball of metal with glitter dust on it. Reuben picks up the metal ball that was a ship and his ears flatten as he looks at it nervously.

 "Okay. The problem is bad. It's really bad," Reuben says.

His ears flatten even further as the metal ball dissolves into dust.

"Uh, yeah, we might, and by might I mean definitely, need some help," Arista deadpans.

"Reuben. Oh, what a surprise," Grandmamah says as Reuben swims into her throne room.

"Show me how to use my powers," he says excitedly.

"Oh, I thought you'd never ask," Grandmamah says floating towards him.

"Okay, where do we start? Laser eyes?" Reuben says hurriedly as they enter a secluded room with many tunnels.

"Before you fly through the ocean, you must first learn to swim," she says calmly.

"You know my swimming is pretty good, so maybe I could skip ahead and we could unleash my laser eyes," he says as his grandma pressed a button and a big whoosh of water blasts him into the wall. 

Grandmamah grabs his hand, pulling him off the wall as she helps him swim through the strong current. 

You must accept your "kraken-ness" and leave your land self behind," she states calmly.

She lets go of his hand and starts to get the hang of swimming through the current.

Reuben uses what he learnt from swimming with his grandma to try and swim through the currents. He was doing well, until a large rock knocked into him and knocked his balance off, causing him to swim through the currents in circle. Caspian and Arista try and look for Reuben when he suddenly flies out of the currents and lands behind them Arista swims towards him and puts a hand on his cheek seeing if he was okay.

"A giant kraken's greatest weapon...," Grandmamah tries to say.

"Laser eyes?" Reuben suggests.

"No. It's our strength. Both inner and outer," she says. 

We then see Reuben trying to lift up multiple ship while Grandmamah sits on them. He grunts but manages to lift up all the weight above his head.

"Mmm," Grandmamah nods in approval. 

"Now you can say it," she says.

"Laser eyes," they both say as Grandmamah shoots a few lasers.

"The first step is to summon your passionate fury," she says.

"Passionate fury? Like when my locker jams right before class," Reuben says as his eyes glow a bit.

"Dig deeper," she encourages.

"My friends ditching me for prom," he says, his eyes glowing brighter this time.

"Deeper," she says.

"When my mom lies to my face!" he yells angrily as a blue laser comes out of his eyes.

He starts to spiral out of control, slicing a few of the monster statues.

 "How do you shut them off?" he yells in panic.

Margot, Bliss and Trevin were setting the prom boat when Arista suddenly came up to the three.

"Have you guys seen Reuben?" she asks with a bit of hope.

"No, not really," Margot says as Arista deflates a bit, walking away. 

"Gasp. A rose," Margot says quietly seeing the rose sticking out of Arista's bag.

Reuben tries again to fly through the currents, now blasting away the rocks with his laser eyes. But as he gets closer to the trident, the water suddenly becomes too hot and he screams in pain. 

The next day, Reuben's alarm clock rings and he lazily sits up, pushes the messed up hair out of his face, and shoots his alarm clock with his lasers.

Reuben was now swimming through many hot tubes of steams until he crashed into one and fell onto the ground.

"Reuben, I see in you a heart as big as the ocean," Grandmamah says as she puts her hand in the hot steam, not seeming to hurt her. 

"Honey, a thick skin is a queen or king's ultimate defense. Body armor," she says.

"Whoa. That's almost cooler than laser eyes," Reuben compliments.

"Almost," Grandmamah says blowing on her hand.

Reuben walks through the school, talking with Arista a bit when he hears people watching the kraken video. He glares and then shoots they're phones with his laser eyes as Arista makes sure no one saw him. Reuben then sees Caspian and they do a handshake they made and the three walk out of the school.

"Reuben?" Margot says as he completely ignores his friends, talking with Caspian, "We have been looking all over for you." 

Reuben and Caspian walk away, not even noticing the friends.

"So much for squad solidarity," Margot says as Arista walks up to the three.

"I'll talk to him," she says, earning a smile from the three as she runs to catch up with the two friends.