Prologue

'Hyunjin, baby, can you try to calm down? We really need to start filming again.', a sob wracks through Hyunjin's small body while he hugs his knees harder. His mother is looking at him with an expression that is a mix of concern and impatience, which only makes him feel worse.

If he was more competent, he wouldn't be worrying his mother nor frustrating all staff and actors that are waiting for him to finish the last two scenes and wrap up for the day.

'I cuh- can't do it.', he shakes his head vigorously. Because even if being 'competent at his job' may be too much to ask of a six year old boy, he can't help but feel as if his entire world is falling apart.

No matter how much he was trying earlier, he couldn't recall his lines, couldn't portray any of his well-practised expressions, couldn't even focus. Today he's being the exact opposite of the talented kid everyone always praises him to be and it makes him feel so, so ashamed. Especially when it is his first time acting with another kid his age. A boy that is doing so much better than Hyunjin, even if he's never acted before.

Apparently, Lee Felix was a last-minute replacement of the child actor who had ended up with a bad flu on the day of filming. In fact, Felix was the movie director's son and while the director hadn't wanted to involve him in acting from such a young age, they didn't have any other choice that day.

Because after all, Felix was already on set (as per the director's words - his son hates being babysitted and actually enjoys watching his father work, even if he hadn't expressed interest in acting himself) and more than anything, he is seemingly a hidden gem.

Hyunjin and Felix briefly shook hands in greeting before the smaller of the two ran off to read the script again and again. At the time, Hyunjin felt frustrated and didn't have any hope that the other boy would be able to memorise his lines and do a decent enough job to keep up with him.

'Won't it be too obvious even on camera that I'm more experienced than him?', Hyunjin asked his mum while watching Felix's concentrated expression at the other end of the room.

'Well, he's Lee Doyun's son after all. I'm sure that if his father didn't trust in Felix to do a good job, then he wouldn't risk all of our time. Time is money, Hyunjin. Remember?'

The joke is on him. Because the moment they heard the word 'ACTION', Felix transformed into the role of a poor, miserable child that was on the brink of starvation. Perhaps it was the shock of how well Felix was doing, the obvious contrast of their talent, that made Hyunjin feel as if everyone in the room would laugh in his face for barely being able to keep up with someone that's supposed to be an amateur.

What was Hyunjin's hard work for? He has been acting since the age of three and suddenly, those three years seem pointless.

Another loud cry rips out of the small boy, leaving his mother helpless by his side.

'Hyunjinnie?', a small voice asks, making the boy quiet down and blink up his teary eyes at the concerned expression on Felix's face. When had he come to them?

'Lix-ah, why aren't you with your dad?', Hyunjin's mum, Jihu, asks him.

'I asked papa if I can try to help Hyunjinnie stop crying and he allowed me.', Felix pouts and Hyunjin's cheeks flush in embarrassment.

Suddenly, the boy stretches his arm and holds out a small dandelion to Hyunjin, leaving the latter with a parted in surprise mouth.

'My sisters always tell me that flowers can bring a smile to anyone's face.', Felix explains with a wide grin that takes up most of his small face. Hyunjin blinks a few times, not quite expecting the gesture, and sniffles before he takes the dandelion with the whisper of a 'thank you'.