Chapter 11

Emilie got home later than I anticipated. By the time she arrived, the food I had prepared was cold, and the kids were in bed. "Sorry, it took longer to get things ready at the office than I thought," she said. She sat at the kitchen table while I warmed the pork chops and veggies.

"Clayton, have some last-minute instructions?"

"No, the internet was out until this afternoon, so I couldn't get a lot prepared. Why would you bring him up again?"

"I didn't mean anything by it, Emilie. Just asking."

"Well, stop asking. I know you don't trust Clayton, but he's been nice to us since I started working for him. This opportunity could have gone to someone else, but he chose me. Why can't you accept that?"

"I don't want to fight, Emilie. You know you have my blessing to go on the trip."

"Your blessing? Like I have to get permission from you to advance my career?"

"No, that's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean? What do you mean when you talk about your blessing? I'm not your property, Hunter."

"I never said that." I walked away from the table and over to the kitchen sink to stare out the window. This is not how I envisioned tonight going. I calmed myself before turning back to her. "Emilie, I trust you. If not, I wouldn't have married you, but I don't trust Clayton. I don't know why; I just don't trust him."

"He's not going to be there, Hunter. He'll be in Huntsville, remember?"

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry, it's my fault. I don't mean to bother you with my insecurities. I love you, Emilie, and I can't help it that I'm a little jealous."

"Why? I didn't marry Clayton. Nothing is going on between us. He's my boss; that's it."

"I know, but I still don't like him personally, even if nothing is happening."

"Would it make you feel better if I got a job at another company?"

"Honestly, yes. It would."

"Fine, if that will make you happy. I'll start looking for another company when I get back from Orange Beach. Are you happy now?"

"Emilie, I'm not asking you to turn your back on your dreams."

"I told you, I'll find another realty company to work for. If the Orange Beach sale goes through, there will likely be a lot of companies that will want me to work for them."

"I'm sorry, Emilie. Please-"

"It's fine, Hunter. Look, I need to finish packing." She left the table and went to the bedroom. I wanted to follow her but decided to give her some space to calm down.

By the time I came into the bedroom, she was sound asleep. I undressed and climbed into bed beside her, but she did not notice me. I kissed her and rolled over, wishing things had gone differently.

In the morning, she woke early to shower and load the car. I placed the half-sleeping kids in the backseat and told them to be good for their grandparents. "I guess I'll see you when you get back."

"I should be back next Saturday, so it won't be too long. You could come down for the weekend if you want to."

"I can't, I-"

"You have the case, I know. Will you be finished by the time I return?"

"I hope so."

"Okay. Well, I'll see you when I get back then." She kissed me, smiled, got in the car, and drove away.

"I love you," I said as I watched her go.