Chapter 5 - Play to Win

Sorry I haven't been on in a while but you know summer catches up to all of us. Well I hope you enjoy.

Jaxi**

       Jaxi eased the heavily laden cart around the corner of the grocery aisle, finally headed for the checkout. A brief glance at her watch warned she had an hour—hour and a half at the most—before Marion got home for a rest.

       An hour to get things put away so Marion would rest instead of attempting to help. She chuckled to herself. Mrs. C was a lousy patient, probably because she had rarely had a chance to slow down while chasing after the boys and taking charge of things. Jaxi stacked the cart contents on the conveyer belt as rapidly as possible and smiled at her friend Cari, who manned the till.

       "Jaxi, you having a party or something? You've got enough food here to feed an army. Oh, hang on, you're at the Coleman place, aren't you?" Cari rang through the items, her mouth and hands in a contest to see which could move faster. "Course I figured you'd help, what with being neighbours and all."

       Cari winked at her but Jaxi shook her head.

       "Don't push it, girlfriend. Just get me through double quick so I'm back before Marion gets home and decides to scrub walls or rearrange furniture. It's been a week since she got the cast on, and she's attempting to take on her full workload again."

       "Typical for her, though. Hey, are you going to be busy, or are we heading out tonight for our usual R and R?"

       "I don't think I'll make it, if that's okay with you. I want to stick close so I can sit on my patient if she needs controlling."

       Cari shrugged. "Fine with me, I'm free all weekend. We can meet whenever."

       Jaxi paused in the middle of shuffling loaded bags back into the cart. "You're free? What about Leo and the big date? That's Saturday night, right?"

       Her friend sniffed. "Wrong. He messed up one time too many. I'm done with him. Jerk."

       Jaxi hid her smile. Cari and Leo, the ultimate star-crossed lovers. A week didn't pass without one pissing the other off, and yet they couldn't stay apart. "What did he do this time?"

       Cari propped her fists on her hips, her jaw hanging open. "You didn't hear? He went trolling with those wild Six Pack twins, and they weren't down by the lake from what I heard. They were fishing for females barely above the legal limit."

       Something was off in Cari's information. That wasn't Leo's style, nor the twins. Women chased after Jesse and Joel. They didn't need to prowl to find willing partners. Besides, Leo was rock solid when it came to Cari, but the two of them didn't communicate and assumed far too much. "When was this?"

       "Two nights ago. Marcy told Karen who told Janice she saw them."

       Jaxi fought back the urge to rub her temples. "Cari, the boys were home two nights ago. All night. Jesse and Joel suckered us into a Monopoly tournament and a game of Thirty-one that lasted until late. Everyone crashed after it was done."

       Cari's mouth closed tight. "You're not just saying that? I mean, to protect someone, 'cause I'd be really pissed to find out—"

       Enough. Cari could rant for hours, and Jaxi's spare time was fading away. She handed over cash for the bill. "Trust me. Games all night and a popcorn fight when Mr. C lost his last penny. The man is a hoot—he cheats at cards like a shark, then distracts everyone. I don't know where Leo was but I doubt he was anywhere near any jailbait. He loves you, girl. Just call him and ask him. Go out on Saturday. Have fun."