ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

Words 1498 - Edited

Trigger warning: Cusing, violence, yelling, mentions of abuse, fear! If any of these trigger you click off!

If I would have sat still any longer it probably would have killed me. I shifted restlessly as Lucas spoke, "This is Randolph road, right here," Lucas drew a line close by the stick he had placed down as placeholders, "The fence starts here and goes all the way around," He motions the stick he's holding in a circular fashion before setting it with the others.

Lucas continues planting an empty Coca-Cola® can in the middle of his stick representation of Hawkins Laboratory, "And this is the lab right here. The gate has to be in there somewhere." Lucas rubbed his chin in thought.

My vision flashed. A big white room with a rainbow pattern scattered across the wall, children giggling as they ran around the room, someone with buzzed blonde hair being thrown into a wall, and a flash of a syringe as a child screams in fear. I shivered slightly feeling something warm slide from my nose, I almost choked at the metallic smell burning my nostrils. I quickly wiped it before anyone else noticed but looked up only to lock eyes with Dustin of which looked concerned but I just shook my head.

Dustin had moved on tail curled around his waist, "Well who owns Hawkins Lab?" Mike exchanged a look with Duatin opening his mouth to speak before Lucas responded, "Sign says Department of Energy," before he shrugged. "Department of Energy? What do you think that means?" Mike huffed, slightly annoyed at being interrupted again and decided to seize his opportunity to speak, "It means government."

"Military if you will," I added on. Dustin glanced between the two of us, "Then why does it say 'Energy'?" "Just trust me alright?" Mike carried on placing a hand on my vaccant shoulder — El seemed to have formed a habit of clutching onto any shirt or jacket I might be wearing, seemingly fearing that if she let go she would find I disappeared. — "Plus my dad's told us before." He finished letting his arm drop to his side.

"Mike and (Y/n) are right," Lucas quickly butted back in, "There's soldiers out front," "Do they make, like, lightbulbs or something?" Dustin questioned, still seeming to be confused about the lab's purposes. "No, weapons, to fight the Russians, and commies and stuff," Mike retorted. "Weapons," Lucas murmured but it was audiable due to enhanced hearing. His eyes focused on El before making eye contact with Mike and Dustin. "Woah woah woah! Hey!" I snapped my fingers to get their attention, "Don't look at El like that!" I pointed to Lucas and Dustin who seemed to start panicing. "This is bad." Dustin groaned hands on the side of his head. "Really bad. This place is like a fortress!" Lucas couldn't resist the urge to unsettle Dustin.

"Well, what do we do?" Dustin broke out his stuper. "I don't know but we can't go home." Mike offered lamely. I hummed in agreement nodding my head, "Mike's not wrong with government after us we're fugitives." Suddenly El's ears stiffened and Dustin turned his head a buzzing sound emanating from above, "Gu-Guys?" Dustin stammered out and we all turned to look "Do you hear that?" "Shit." Was my singled worded response.

We all bolted up trying to shove the bikes under the degrading bus. "Go, Go, Go!" Mike shouted helping Dustin force his bike under since it was nearest, "Come on, come on!" Dustin growled his ears flattened in frustration. "It's stuck." he groaned Lucas patting him on the shoulder. "Let's go, let's go! Hurry come on!" Mike harassed. Dustin panickedly gave one last shove "Go, go, go, go, go, go!" The boy grabbed my arm hauling me and El into the bus behind him.

"Get down!" Lucas yelled and we all complied. Adrenaline was kicking in and I started to become restless again as I shoved myself behind the very last seat. It wasn't very big or small but well concealed. It reminded me of the time I hid behind the seat waiting for Tony Hanks — someone who would constantly belittle Will and often ganged up with Troy to hurt him — and I set his socks on fire. I couldn't help but smile despite the situation. — Nobody, and I mean nobody messed with (Y/n) Henderson or the people she deemed under her protection without facing dire consequences. Tony was just a warning compared to what she had done.  — The helicopter's whirring slowly started to dull. "Mental." Dustin panted still winded.

. . .

Mike's supercom suddenly went off startling the boys, "Mike, are you there? Mike!" "You guys hear that?" Dustin asked. "Mike, it's me, Nancy." Mike scrambled to get his bag practically tearing it open. "Mike, are you there?" The sound of Mike fumbling to get his bag open mixed with the crackle of the walkie and it was rather unnerving. We all huddled around as Mike pulled out the TRC. "Answer," "Mike, we need you to answer." "Is that your sister?" Lucas blurted.

"No shit Sherlock." I deadpanned. "Mike, this is an emergency. Mike, do you copy?"Okay, this is really weird," Dustin remarked. "Yeah for once I agree," Lucas grabbed the walkie from Mike only to have it snatched back, "Don't answer," Mike snapped.

"She said it was an emergency," Lucas shook his hand to further convey his urgency. "Well what if it's a trap? Hmm?" Mike growled. By this point both Mike and Lucas were yelling, "It's your sister!" "What if the bad people kidnapped her?" Mike paused breifly his voice broke, "What if- their forcing her to say this?" Mike was distressed if him starting to curl in on himself wasn't enough proof the scent coming off of him was getting to be overwhelming. "I need you to answer." I sighed placing a hand on Mike's shoulder, "Mike, even if they do have her you know that I won't stop trying to get her back for you." I knew just how much Nancy meant to Mike, even if he would never admit it. I heard him sniffle before he tried to blink back the water in his eyes. Dustin's eyes widened in that moment, "It's like Lando Calrissian. Don't answer!" 

"We need to know that you're there, Mike." We all exchanged glances. Suddenly a different voice crackled to life, "Listen kid, this is the chief. If you're there, pick up. We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl,"That son of a bitch." I grumbled. "Why is she with the cheif?" Lucas' face contorted into one of confusion. "How the hell does he know about-"  I cut Dustin off, "Doesn't matter, I know Hopper. Nothing could break that man. Nancy's safe with him."

"We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up. Are you there? Do you copy? Over." I grimaced, "Give me that," I snatched the TRC from Mike, "Hey!" "Shut it," I pulled the antenna out pushing the button to speak, "Yeah I copy old man. We're here so don't get your knickers in a twist." The walkie made a clicking noise as I let the button go.

. . .

Dustin wouldn't stop pacing, "Will you stop fucking pacing? You're setting El on edge," I gritted out trying to sleep but to no avail. "It's been way too long. Do you know what?" He started pacing faster, "Maybe you're right, Mike. Maybe this is all a trap," His tone fernetic. "And the bad men are coming to get us right now!" I grunted before sitting up, "Listen here you little weasel, i'll mash your face up the next time you disrespect Hop," The shadows jumped slightly, growing darker in colour, "He's not that kinda guy. He's actually decent compared to most of the half-baked dimwits you would meet so keep him out your mouth." I barked. I wasn't known to snap at anyone in the party but Hopper was one to always care about me when no one else did.

"(Y/n)'s right, why would the chief of all people set us up?" Lucas chimed in. "Nancy, maybe, but the chief?" "Watch it Sinclair," Mike looked ready to rip his throat out. "Lando Calrissian." Dustin pointed at Lucas. "Would you shut up about lando!" Lucas was ticked but so was I. "I don't feel good about this. I don't feel good about this!

"When do you feel good about anything?" "WILL YOU TWO SHUT THE FUCK UP?" I couldn't hold back anymore. I gripped the seat trying to resist the urge to punch someone. I let out a yell and tore the seat from it's hinges narrowly missing Dustin as I threw it. Suddenly we heard the sound of a car approaching. We all ran to the front seeing two black cars pulling up. "Shit!" Dustin quickly turned heel with the others. "Go, go, go, go." Mike ushered. I grunted heaving up the thrown chair and pushed it against the door, then retreated to the back.

"Good idea." Mike gave me a gentle high-five and I grinned.