Prologue

Jesse Cascade was a simple person. Didn't want a whole lot out of life, except to aid those in need. When she awoke with a Ghost hovering over her, her life changed. She couldn't remember much before she was asleep, but all she needed to know was her name. The female Hunter was walking around the Tower as she waited for Amanda Holliday to fix the engine in her ship. She had just gotten done with a rough fight against the Cabal, and she was absolutely exhausted. Jax flew around her head, seemingly happy being home. She smiles behind her helmet before she hears footsteps walking towards her. Jesse lifts her head to see Cayde-6, the newest Hunter Vanguard, with his Ghost, Sundance. She nods her head respectfully as he walks by. The woman thought she was safe until the Exo male stopped in his tracks and called out her last name.

"Hey, Cascade! How were the strikes? I heard you came back with some... engine issues." Cayde looks towards her as she nods. The male sighs as he crosses his arms across his chest. "You're still not one for talking, even after all these years, are you?"

"What's the point? We gain new people in the light of others passing. I'd rather not get close to someone, just to lose them." Jesse turns herself completely to look at the glowing eyes of the Exo Hunter as he shrugs his shoulders.

"Sometimes it's worth knowing them now and remembering them later. Just remember that. Go get some rest, Cascade. You and I have a mission in the morning. Your second ship came in from Commander Zavala. Holliday will have it ready in the morning."

Jesse watches him walk away as she exhales softly. Jax softly bumps himself into her hand as she raises it to hold him. He tilts himself slightly like a child would tilt their head in question. She chuckles.

"It'll be alright, Jax. Let's go get some rest, bud."

The next morning, Jesse meets Cayde in the Hangar of the Tower as she readies her exotic hand cannon, Crimson. She was the only Guardian who used the gun. It was her favorite. As she checks her armor, a hand sets itself on her shoulder as she looks Lord Shaxx, the Crucible Vanguard. The Titan pats her shoulder roughly, making the woman slightly wince before he walks away. He was one of the few she talked to more often than none if the Guardian was out and about, helping on the frontlines. The Hunter Vanguard gestures her over to him as she adjusts her cloak.

"Ya ready, sweetheart? It's gonna be a tough one." Cayde looks at her as she nods, putting Crimson in its holster. "Then let's go."

They headed to the Cosmodrome in aid of defeating Fallen, which quickly turned against them when Cabal showed up. Jesse kept switching between her bow and Crimson as Jax tried to keep up with her wounds. Cayde had shot off his Golden Gun a few times already, and the female Hunter was having a hard time keeping up until she threw a Vortex Grenade, blinding all of the enemies around her She put a bullet in all of their heads before a shot to her head shatters her helmet. Blue eyes glare at the enemy before activating Moebius Quiver at them. Her raven hair falls across her right shoulder as Cayde comes to stand beside her. He promptly looks at her before pulling her hood back over her head. Jesse's eyes widen as she pulls the hood more over her face.

"Your secret is safe with me, Cascade. But why hide?"

"Been like this since I woke up. I don't know why, but this is who I am." Jesse sighs as she reloads Crimson before putting it on her thigh. Cayde taps his chin in thought before he looks at her, his Exo blue eyes glimmering.

"This is a new life. Be someone new before you try being someone you used to be."

Jesse watches him walk away from her, towards their ships. She looks to the ground in thought before feeling Jax bump into her cheek. She holds her hand out for her Ghost as he tilts himself once again this week. She smiles softly before looking towards Cayde.

"Maybe he's right, Jax. Let's give this a shot. Whaddya think?" Jesse watches as he floats up and down as a yes. She joins Cayde at their ships as she holds a hand out to him. "Name's Jesse Cascade." Cayde's tone turns playful as he shakes her hand.

"Now that's more like it."