Chapter 3

Jesse follows Cayde towards the Hall of Guardians with reluctance after the Exo basically started dragging her with him. Everyone seemed to be running around and it didn't settle with the female one bit. Cayde looks behind him towards Jesse as her eyes are looking everywhere around them. As much as he wanted to keep her out of this, the male knew she needed to see what was going on. He wanted to teach her everything and anything to help her hone her skills. She hadn't found her vibe and he wanted to help her find it, no matter what it took. Hand Cannons were her specialty since she never went anywhere without Crimson, just like Cayde wouldn't go anywhere without his Ace. Both hunters start going down the stairs towards the table where Zavala was leaning on it, Ikora up on the upper part of the room with a tablet in hand. Cayde looks towards her as his gut feeling started to get worse.

"Ikora, if you tell me this is a practical joke. Well, it kills me to say it, but I-I would be really impressed." Cayde puts his hands on his hips as Jesse rolls her eyes.

"Impressing you, Cayde, is the easiest thing I'll do all day." Ikora gives him a smirk and a pointed look as she looks back at the tablet in her hands. Jesse could see what exactly she was looking at and she could feel her anxiety rise.

"Let's get serious people." Zavala looks up at Cayde before giving a surprise look towards Jesse as she points towards Cayde and shrugs her shoulders. "Cascade."

"Zavala! This is my serious face. Can't you tell?" Cayde grunts as he gets elbowed in the side by Jesse as she glares at him.

"Ikora, what have you got?" Zavala stands up straight as he looks up at the Warlock Vanguard. Ikora's eyes flicker back and forth across the screen as her eyebrows furrow. Jesse walks towards the main window of the room as she stares out at the storm clouds.

"Someone or something has sabotaged the Skyline Defense Systems." Ikora looks back at Zavala before looking towards Cayde.

"And comms have been spotty for the last few hours. Every sensor beyond the wall has gone dark." Cayde scratches his head as he looks at the monitor in front of him before looking back at the Titan.

"Hmmm... Maybe it's just the storm. Maybe it's... What are the sat feeds telling us?" Zavala looks towards the window and glances at Jesse as she's searching the storm clouds. Cornflower blue eyes dart back and forth between the clouds.

"Nothing." Ikora's voice takes on a slight panic tone as she starts flipping through different things on the tablet.

"Well, that's good, right?" Cayde turns towards the Warlock as she shakes her head.

"No! I mean, they're not there. There are no satellites." Ikora glances to Cayde and then to Zavala.

"And that's not good." The Exo looks towards Jesse as her eyes widen.

"CABAL WARSHIPS!" Jesse looks towards Zavala as he sees the same thing.

"Battle stations!"

Jesse falls back as missiles start flying towards the Tower. She dashes as the building shakes, making her stumble until a hand grabs her arm, steadying her. She looks up at Cayde as he activates Golden Gun and starts shooting down some of the ships in the fleet. Jesse starts shooting with a bow until the floor starts to become unstable. Ikora grabs Cayde and blinks into Zavala's Ward of Dawn. Cayde looks towards Jesse as her eyes go wide and the floor collapses underneath her. The Exo goes to leave the bubble before Ikora stops him, shaking her head.

"Let me go! I need to go after her!" Cayde stares at Ikora as she furrows her eyebrows.

"You love her." Her words stun the Hunter as he stutters slightly. "Wait until the missiles stop, then go."

(Meanwhile)

Jesse groans as Jax flies above her. She slowly stands up from her position on the ground as she rubs her back. She looks up from where she fell and sighs. The female looks around to find herself in a unfamiliar place in the tower. She grabs her Crimson from the ground and holds it up. Footsteps start rushing towards her as she dodges in behind some debris. The footsteps slow as she peeks around the corner before she dashes out and points a gun towards the person. 

"Hey, hey! It's me, Jesse!" Cayde holds his hands up, Ace sitting in one of them. His glowing blue eyes bounce between hers. Jesse sighs in relief as she puts her gun down. He grabs her and hugs her tightly. "Thought I lost you for a second."

"I'm indestructible unless Jax gets hit." Jesse hugs him back as she relaxes slightly before she pulls away from him and puts a couple of rounds into the head of a Cabal. "How bout we take the enemies out before we have a moment, huh?"

Cayde and Jess run throughout the Tower, taking enemy after enemy out. As they round a corner, Jesse skids underneath a couple of Cabal as Cayde shoots them all. The female stops for a second as she hears Zavala's transmission for all Guardians to report to the Plaza. She looks to Cayde as he nods before he sees Shaxx bust through a wall as he slams a Cabal into the wall. The boisterous Titan picks up Jesse and almost crushes her in a hug as Cayde looks at the man with an unamused look. Shaxx puts her down as the female Hunter catches her breath.

"You need to get to the Plaza, Jesse. Zavala is in need of Guardians. The onslaught from the Cabal is pushing him back as well as the others." Shaxx looks to Jesse as she nods.

"I was just heading that way. You know a shortcut?" Blue eyes watch as the Titan nods.

"Yes. Through my armory, take a right and you'll be in the courtyard." Shaxx nods before he rushes off and shoulder slams more Cabal.

Jesse follows Shaxx's instructions and gets to the courtyard, her eyes widening at the chaos. She immediately grabs Crimson and starts shooting off rounds into the heads of the Cabal. She dodges and shoots any Cabal that get too close to Zavala before the horde started to become too much. Most all of the Guardians in the courtyard got separated. Jesse looks up as her eyes widen. The Red Legion captured the Traveler. She hears her name as she looks towards Cayde, who's rushing towards her. She feels a piercing pain as she looks down at her stomach. Everything starts to become a blur for her. She feels Cayde picking her up after she fell, feeling him run away from everything as she briefly hears Zavala and Ikora's voice. Jesse feels her eyes starting to get heavy as a voice reaches her ears.

"Don't you fucking dare die on me now, Cascade." Cayde gets her onto a jumpship as AJ comes into view with typical medical supplies and a few more Warlocks. The Hunter Vanguard aides where he can as her eyes close. "JESSE! KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!"

"JESSE!"